three

Chapter Three

Erika

Leave me alone, Rafe. I hate you.

Those words echo in my head, as the warmth from the sun peeking in through the slightly open blinds spreads across my skin and I open my eyes to find myself lying on my stomach in the guest bedroom upstairs.

God, please tell me that was a dream.

An ache pounds through my head, making me feel like the room around me is spinning, as I shift my body to the side and sit up.

A lump forms in my throat and I gag, quickly throwing the blanket off me to head for the bathroom and kneel over the toilet, the remnants of last night spilling out of my mouth.

Fuck me.

The other door, which connects the bathroom to the bedroom next door creaks open as I wipe at my lips with the back of my hand, and Tiff stands by it, looking down at me with her hand resting on the doorknob.

"Well good morning, sunshine," she says, while I keep my head over the toilet, scared that something else is gonna come out. "Looks like you had a rough night."

She quietly closes the door behind her and walks past me to one of the sinks to brush her teeth.

When I'm sure that I'm no longer gonna throw up, I tilt my head up towards her. "I am never drinking again."

"Oh, come on, Rik," she said. "We both know that's not true."

"Maybe not, but a girl can hope," I tell her and she chuckles, as I slowly get up on my feet and flush the toilet, before making my way to the sink beside her.

I immediately rinse my mouth, and open the mirror cabinet to grab myself a spare toothbrush. "Do you know what happened last night?" I ask, exchanging glances with Tiff in the mirror while I brushed my teeth.

She turns her body towards me, and leans a hand on the counter. "You seriously don't remember?"

"Why?" I ask, stopping to look at her. "Did I do something stupid?"

"Well..." she trails off and hops onto the counter. "I wouldn't exactly classify you telling Rafe off as stupid," she shrugs, a smile spreading across her lips. "I've never been prouder of you."

"Oh, god," I throw my head back in exasperation, rinsing off my toothbrush and placing it in the marble holder on the counter. "I was really hoping that was just a bad dream. Who else saw that?"

"I didn't even see it," she tells me. "After you left with a bottle to 'go get air,' I got stuck inside taking care of Ev after he got high out of his mind. Kelce was the one who told me. He was on the back porch with some girls and golfing buddies."

"Great," I scoff, drying off my hands. "So not only does everyone know he dumped me last summer, but also that I told him I hate him."   

"You told him you hated him?" Tiff asks, clearly surprised. "I didn't know you had that in you, Rik."

"Yeah, neither did I," I sighed, shaking my head. "Do you think I was too harsh?"

"Are you kidding? I think—"

Tiff was suddenly cut off by Evan swinging the door open. "Are you guys done?"

"Damn, babe," Tiff snaps her head towards him. "You look like shit."

"Yeah, I feel it too," Evan brings a hand up to rub at his temple. "I need a shower. You guys done?"

"All yours," I say, turning around to head back into the guest bedroom.