chapter one, rich and famous

"guess who got a job at cupcake city?!"

cassandra lupin sat at the grand piano at sonic boom when one of her best friends ran through the door with a cupcake in her hand.

"thanks trish but there's no eating in the store." ally comments when trish shrugs and hands the cupcake to cassandra.

"is this what having a job is like? getting free cupcakes?" she starts taking off the wrapper.

"they give us all the rejects, i dropped that one on the floor." before trish can finish her sentence, cassandra throws the cupcake through the door.

"last time im taking anything from you."

"you could go buy a cupcake if you had a job."

"i don't trust myself with money, you know this." cassandra pokes her friend's arm when her phone rings.

"it's work." trish groans.

"does she know she has to be there to work there?" ally sits down at her friend's side.

"apparently i have to be there to work there." trish walks back before cassandra can say anything.

"that's why i refuse to get a job." cassandra watches as her friend walks away.

"you could always work here, you practically live here." ally comments and cassandra groans.

"working is so hard." she presses down on a key when the sound of someone playing the drums breaks the silent atmosphere of the store.

she looks up to find a blonde boy playing the drums with corn dogs as ally runs over to yell at him and his friend.

"we're gonna have to confiscate your corn dogs." cassandra approaches them, taking the two from the blonde.

"we're not allowed to do tha-" ally starts but cassandra shushes her.

"you don't even work-"

"shhhhh." she takes a bite of the corn dog.

"ill handle this austin." the ginger boy starts. "ma'am and ma'lady we are making a music video." he looks down at the women who stare up at him.

"too close for comfort." cassandra comments and he takes a step back and she subconsciously pulls up her top.

"i am the director although i prefer the term filmmaker." he flips his camera and it falls to the ground, shattering.

"and cut!" he runs back.

"we're gonna need a lot of instruments and i can play anything- piano, drums, guitar, the harp. i can even play a trumpet through another trumpet." the blonde boy reaches for two trumpets but cassandra beats him to it.

"so can i but you don't see me screaming at the top of my lungs."

"well you should. it's awesome." he smiles at her.

"and here's the thing about the instruments-" he starts.

"you don't have any money?" ally asks and he nods.

"how about i pay you back when im rich and famous?" he leans on the counter.

"great! just have your butler fly over and drop off a bunch of shiny gold coins." ally cheers as cassandra continues eating her corn dogs.

"you're not allowed to eat in the store." ally pokes her.

"shhhhh."

"so can i use your instruments?" the blonde looks between the girls.

"read the subtitles on my face and you tell me." cassandra leans in, face deadpan as she makes eye contact with him.

"no?"

"no."