Who Was It?

Instantly Nikolai froze. Next to Fjodor's bed sat three people. A young lady, a middle aged woman and an all too familiar man. Nikolai's gaze wandered towards Fjodor, who still lay silently on the bed. His grip around the door handle tightened when his eyes met those dark purple ones.

"How could you do this? How could you do this to my son?!", the older woman cried. Nikolai flinched. So that's how it was. Fjodor's father held her back as she wanted to jump towards him. The young lady quietly stood up and signaled him to follow her outside. Don't you dare say a word was what the man's gaze said before they left the room.

The girl let out a deep sigh as soon as the door was closed. "You're Nikolai Gogol I guess?", she said. He nodded. "Father said you..." He forcefully turned away. "I didn't do that. I would never. Damn it, I love Fjodor!" She looked at him with calm eyes. "I know." Surprised Nikolai glanced over his shoulder. "I'm Dunja by the way, Fjodor's sister. He told me everything about you and... earlier, when I arrived, he just woke up. Mom and dad weren't there yet. He didn't say much, but he said it wasn't you."

Slowly she walked towards the chairs on the side of the hallway, inviting him to sit down with her. "I believe him, and I belive you. But who was it then? Fedja wouldn't tell me." Nikolai gulped. So she didn't know anything about it all. What would happen if he told her? Would she even belive him? "Can't you just tell me? That dirty pig should go to jail for what he did. You know father is a lawyer. It's easy for him to make the sentence go his way. Trust me." Exactly, it would go his way.

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you. Fjodor should do this, not me." She looked at him confused. "I'm really sorry, but it's for him to decide. I... I don't know, I..." Suddenly Dunja just pulled him into a hug. "It's okay, I'm sure it will be. I'm not mad." Heavily he rested his head on her shoulder. She smelled just like him, almost at least. "When will your parents leave? I would like to talk to Fyo alone", he asked.

"I'm leaving in about fifteen minutes, my soon to be husband is going to fetch me." He could see that light twinkle in her eyes when she mentioned him. "But I don't know when mom and dad are leaving." He sighed. The doctors had told him he could leave the hospital just before he went to the police, so he could not stay here forever.

Dunja had one hand on the door handle when she came back to him. "Oh, one more thing. My wedding is next Saturday. If Fedja is released by then, I would be more than happy if you could join us. I mean, if you want to. I know it's complicated because father somehow hates you. I can't understand him, you're such a lovely guy... Anyway, think about it."

Two and a half hours later, Fjodor's parents finally left. Nikolai had been hiding in the doorframe of the bathroom the whole time and more than once people had glanced at him pretty sceptical. He couldn't deny he might have looked a bit suspicious. Finally he stood in front of the door.