Utopia at the Shins

"I don't care what you say, Hwang, this is a really, really big deal to me."

"It is to me, too," Yeji said. "I'm just nervous, that's all. Terrified, actually. What if I meet your parents and they don't like me?"

"I guarantee they will."

"You can't promise that. Plus, what if they're secretly upset that we're a couple?"

"Here's what they know, babe. They've known I was gay since I was ten, and they also know that I've never had a real relationship, so if I love someone, it's for real. Plus, they know who Hwang Yeji is - the leader of the group that their daughter is in. Just give them a chance."

"Oh my god, Jin, it just hit me. We're a creepy workplace romance, aren't we?" Yeji groaned. Then she grabbed Ryujin and pulled her onto the couch.

Ryujin rolled her eyes. "Not fair. You can't get me worked up before we have dinner with my parents."

"What should I wear?"

"Casual. That's 'casual' for most people, not casual for you and your Gautier."

"Why don't you pick something for me?"

"I'd love to," Ryujin said, and kissed Yeji.

. . . . .

Ryujin's parents couldn't have been nicer to Yeji.

"It's such an honor to have a famous artist visit our home," Mr Shin smiled.

Ryujin sighed. "DAD! I'm doing ok for myself, too!"

"You're just our daughter. Ms Hwang is a successful and respected artist." Ryujin rolled her eyes and Yeji winked at her.

"Sir, I can assure you that Ryujin is just as important as any of our members."

"Do you love Ryujin?"

The question hit Yeji like a ton of bricks. She took a deep breath and thought about how to respond. Then she realized that the last thing she should be doing is thinking. It was now or never.

"Mr Shin, I love your daughter more than I thought possible in my wildest dreams."

"Do you want some potatoes?" Mrs Shin asked.

Yeji was getting whiplash from this conversation. Ryujin was desperately trying not to laugh at her discomfort.

"Sure...?"

Mrs Shin began spooning potatoes onto Yeji's plate. Then she said "I imagine you two are going to get married?"

"Mom!" Ryujin said.

Mr Shin raised a finger. "Honey, we can rent a place, but we might have to wait a couple of months."

Yeji's mouth was hanging open. Welcome to the family, Ryujin thought.

"Dad, there's only one problem. Gay marriage is illegal in Korea."

Her dad seemed puzzled. "That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't you let people marry each other?"

"See, I told you that, and you didn't believe me!" Mrs Shin said triumphantly.

"I've got an idea," Mr Shin said, grinning broadly. "Get married in the USA! It's legal there."

Yeji spoke up. "That's a great idea, sir, but Korea still won't recognize that we're married."

"Nonsense. We'll figure this out. If you and Yeji are in love, we have to make it happen! I won't settle for less."

Both women had tears in their eyes at Ryujin's parents' acceptance and support of them.

"I think your label should do more to promote what's right," Mrs Shin said, "Rather than just what makes them money. Someone needs to start a new, better label."

After dinner, the two women went for a walk.

"They're remarkable, Jin. I love them," Yeji said.

"They are. I'm not sure where I'd be if they didn't give me so much love. I can only imagine how bad things could have been."

Yeji sighed. "I'm not sure how open-minded my parents are. They're great people, but they have a total blind spot about homosexuality, so I've kept it to myself. I can't decide what to do, but I'll have to face it. I owe it to you. I love you."

"You still haven't proposed to me, you know," Ryujin smiled.

"It will be a tactical assault, at a time and place of my choosing."

They went back to Ryujin's house to say goodbye to her parents. Mr and Mrs Shin had settled in front of the TV. In the dining room, two candles were still burning.

"Can you blow those out?" Ryujin asked.

"Sure," she said. Then she smiled and closed her fingers around the open flame. A thin trail of smoke rose from her fist.

Ryujin looked at her, confused and stunned.