Prologue: The Start of a New Life

August 20th, 2011

It was a very quiet night at a bar in New York City, called The Mistress. The bartender was going about his business, wiping down the counter, cleaning glasses and filling up one glass that belonged to a female. The brunette woman was wearing a simple black t-shirt underneath a black leather jacket, her legs covered with a pair of worn out blue jeans with oils stains and her feet adorned in a pair of black leather cowboy boots. Emerald green eyes watch as her right index finger ran circles along the rim of the glass in circles as her brunette hair was up in a sloppy bun. The doorbell rings as someone enters the bar. The hair on the back of her neck raises as her male friend, the bartender, looks from her to the man walking into his bar. The female raises the glass to her lips as she takes a sip.

"So this is where you spend your time? I thought you would be running your company." A deep voice rings out through the quiet bar as the female turns around in her barstool and looks at the newcomer with her back leaning against the counter, drink still in hand.

"And how exactly do you know who I am? I've never seen you in my entire life and that's quite a while." She takes a drink of her Jack Daniels Honey and Pepsi as her eyes stare the male down.

"Director Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D." The dark skinned male, Nick, looks at her with one eye as the other one is covered with an eyepatch. The brunette smirks as she scoffs.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.? Haven't heard that name in a long time. Thought I would never hear it again after my old man passed." Her tone was bitter as she downs the rest of her drink before flipping her glass upside down on top of the napkin on the bar, throwing a $50 bill on the counter next to it.

"Your father was one of its founders. Daryl Richards wasn't it? Best friends with Howard Stark?"

"That would be him. He's six feet under, if you're looking for him. About five blocks down from here, six rows in and the 13th headstone in the row. Can't miss it since he wanted a loud headstone and my sister decided to do it. Waste of money if you ask me." The female gets up and stretches as she looks at the stranger.

"Still hold a grudge against the old man after all these years? All because he couldn't understand your powers." Fury looks at her before he looks around him as two knives float next to him, aimed at his head. "I'm not here to harm you or arrest you."

"You may be S.H.I.E.L.D. but that doesn't mean I trust you. How do you know I even have powers? No one knows that besides my family, the Starks and my good friend here behind the counter."

"Your father and Howard Stark believed in an initiative. I believe it's time to get that started. We found Steve Rogers in ice." Fury watches as the female's eyes widen in surprise as the knives clatter to the floor.

"And here I thought he died in the Atlantic. Well, that does change things. If you've been watching me, you should already know my name but I was taught to always introduce yourself, so pardon my rudeness. My name is Stephanie Richards. The eldest child and the one who runs Richards Corporation in the background." Stephanie holds a hand out and Fury shakes it gently.

"Welcome to the team, Richards. You will meet three of your team members tomorrow, don't be late."