I grasp my fork with full force as we eat dinner. The tension almost being unbearable. "So no one's going to talk?" my mother says nervously. My sister , Krtiti, gives her a quick look

"May I be excused?" I ask trying not to yell.

"Yes, Riya" she says.

It's been 12 years since he left... My hands shaking with fear and remorse. Today was another reaping. Every single year it's held. Every single year a family is broken. As I walk around the house the silence is broken by my sister tripping over random objects.

"You good?" I ask, not even caring at this point.

" Yep! I'm fine!". It's her first reaping... No I shouldn't think about what could happen... Soon I hear a Badabing! It's the signal for us to head to the pavillion. As my family drudges there I look around. Not many people left... Soon the sound of microphone feedback goes through my ears RING. AGH I think, how annoying... Soon a woman comes on stage and starts speaking.

" Hello District 12 to the 29 annual games! I am Asal Aleali, and I will be your reaper today!" She announces. She sounds a little to happy for comfort. As she's Praising President Chenier. I look around at everyone. They all look broken. Me, my mother, and Alex all stand together as we watch her draw the male name. "Ethan Qui!" she calls. I recognize that name... I watch him head up to the stage as his family starts to cry. I feel a tear roll down my face... What a shame.

Soon she calls the female name "Kriti Gupta-Patel!" She yells. I freeze... Kriti? I say before I think. As my sister starts walking to the stage I yell "I volenteer as a tribute!" the tears falling off my cheek. I look at Asal as she says " No tribute will be rejected." In a shocked tone. I run up to my sister giving her a final hug. My mother staring at me.

"Don't go!" She cries

"I have to..." I say blankly as I walk away onto the stage.

" Happy Games! And may you have luck on your side!" Asal announces when two men take me and Ethan to the back of the stage. They lead us to a dark car and tell us to hop in. We comply and take a seat in the car. The engine starts and we drive away...