4 - The Painter

Claire heard a camera shutter. And then another. Followed by another. Until she had all phones angled in her direction. She looked around, her heart starting to race.

People are staring at her.

She's right next to the portrait that possibly could've been of hers a very long time ago. She suddenly felt dizzy because she couldn't take this all in.

She made her way through the murmuring crowd, almost stumbling. She pushed through the door and put a hand over her forehead as if to steady her reeling thoughts.

Claire looked up at the sky.

It started raining.

"It's you." A voice came from behind her.

She froze. She hadn't heard that voice before, but it sounded awfully familiar. She heard it in her dreams... and she knew she'd recognize it everywhere.

Claire turns around, gaping at the sight of the familiar face. His blonde hair was slicked back, blue eyes searching.

"Stephen," she hears herself say. More like a murmur.

He took another step forward as he took her in. He opens his mouth and her name slips out of it like something from her dreams. "Esmeralda?"

She shakes her head, refusing to believe what was in front of him. "It's Claire."

"I'm sorry. You just, um, look exactly like her." His eyes pored over her face. "I'm Jake." He offered his hand for a handshake.

Out of manners, she shook his hand.

For a moment, there was only silence, except the patter of rain on the pavement.

"Claire? Are you okay?" Charlie came through the door with panic in his voice. "Oh." He stopped, his gaze shifting from her to the other guy.

Claire puts her arms over her chest. Like she was protecting herself.

Charlie must've seen the desperation in her eyes because he cleared his throat and made his way to her side. "I'm Charlie. I work at the gallery across the street. You're the artist?"

"Yes. Jake Holloway."

They shook hands.

Claire wanted to leave right then. She couldn't say it openly, so she just grabbed onto Charlie's elbow and pleaded with her eyes.

He nods in understanding. "It was nice to meet you. Welp, we had to go. We don't want to be late for our dinner reservation."

She could tell Jake still had something to say, but she pulled at her best friend's elbow and led them both away.

"What was that all about?" Charlie asks when they are finally out of earshot.

Clair felt Jake's gaze on her, following her all the way across the street.

He put an arm over her shoulder. "Honey, are you alright? You're shaking."

She shakes her head. "I'm fine. I just," she trailed off. If she were going to be honest, she just had an urge to run.

"Did he try anything? That douche better be—""

"No. He didn't do anything." She swallowed. "It's just, he's Stephen."

"Wait, he's the Stephen?" He threw a quick glance over his shoulder. "Why are we running away from him?"

Claire swallowed another gulp. "Honestly, I have no idea."

Charlie gave her a squeeze. "It's okay. It must've been just a lot to take in. It took me a couple minutes."

She sighed. "Can you drive me to Josh's place, please?"