Rose - Chapter 7

Rose
Heavy silence hung over the house  the next day, Nolan was in a very sour mood and all of us walked around him like we were walking on eggshells. Even Alvin seemed to understand what was going in because he didnt make much of a fuse.
"You're going to be late for school" Luke said to me as i stood in front of the railings staring down. I dragged my eyes away from the floor i was staring at and looked at him. He leaned against the railing and stared down too.
"I don't want to go to school" i replied, looking at him briefly.
He sighed "Nolan won't be happy to hear that".
"What's his deal anyway? And who's Ares". I could feel Luke tense up beside me, his eyes darkened and his lips formed a thin line. He pushed himself off the railing and stared at me.
"Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, and stay away from him, he is bad news" Luke ruffled my head and walked down the stairs. His boots echoing on the  marble floor. I rolled my eyes, walked to my room, grabbed my bag and headed down the stairs. Unfortunately, i ran into Nolan cursing someone out on the phone. I paused, walking slower and hoping to walk past him without him noticing. I reached the door and was about to slip out when i heard my name.
"School started a while ago" he said, slowly. I turned briefly and stared at him. He had a blank look on his face as he looked at me.
"Im running a bit late" i muttered. Nolan waved me off without even offering a ride, i didnt even want one anyway, i was out of the door within seconds and jogging to school.  First period had already started by the time i walked through the school doors. I had chemistry and Mr Rivers was not a very big fan of late comers and that's why he had a very huge frown on his face the moment i stepped into the classroom. The entire class had gone silent, all of them watching me with quiet judgement. Mr Rivers pushed his round spectacles up his face and squinted his eyes at me, like he wasnt seeing well but wasnt that the aim of the glasses.
"Miss Miller, you are late" i muttered a quick apology, which he waved away. "Please take a seat beside Ryder". I turned slowly to look at Ryder, he was seated at the very back and sure enough there was an empty seat beside him. I opened my mouth to say there was no way in hell i was eating there but then Mr Rivers had started teaching like he'd forgot i even existed. I trudged slowly to the back seat, and flopped into the chair, throwing my bag on the floor beside my stool. Ryder looked at me briefly, i could feel his stare burning into the side of my face but i made no reaction. It was difficult though to concentrate on what the teacher said when someone was burning holes into my head.
"Rose" he said, his voice low and barely above a whisper. I dragged my eyes away from the table top of our chemistry table and looked at him. He had a blank look on his face as he gauged my reaction to him calling my name. What did he expect? That I'll melt or go all girlie.
"What?" I asked, looking briefly at him and turning my gaze away. His grey eyes looked rather beautiful and i hated that thought running through my head.
"We have an experiment to do" he informed me gesturing to the rest of the class that had started doing their work. I mouthed an oh, and picked up the information packet from the table. The experiment required us to also work out of the classroom and there was no way i was doing that with Ryder freaking Conan.
"Well class" Mr Rivers voice came, and everyone went silent "i would have loved to assign you partners but I don't have time for that so whoever you are sitting beside, is your partner for the school year". I could hear groans and laughter around the room but then my mind was blank. That was the worst piece of information anyone could give me. Why was my life always going downhill?. Ryder was staring at me. The bell rang and i was the first to hurry out of the room, i didn't see Western until i hit him flat in the chest. I stumbled back but he was quick to catch me, his arm wrapped firmly around my waist. He was staring down at me with an amused expression.  Someone cleared their throat behind us,  i pushed Western away  and stood by myself.  It was Ryder behind us and he was glaring at West. I looked between them before rushing off ignoring the stares that i got from the other students. This school year was not going to be good at all.

Another very late chapter. No one told me college was this stressful, a lot of assignments, termpapers, tests and all. But I'll try to update as much as possible.