Smell

[Warning: cussing, alcohol, and drugs]

I was the youngest; Damon is the oldest; he's more of a father figure, even if he doesn't realize that. Stefan is the one placed in the middle; he's my rock and my best friend.

We weren't the average family, clearly. I was a vampire, and so are they. Stefan was on animal blood, while Damon and I stuck to humans. I died pretty young, and not even my brothers know how I died. It's pretty personal.

"Are you seriously making me go to school? I'm dead, Stefan. What more do I need to  learn?"I scoffed angrily at my brother, genuinely thinking he was losing his mind.

"Look, we have to make ourselves look normal, human, and alive," he explained to me, which made me even more bored. He took everything so seriously, but I loved him. "Is this about the doppelgänger?" I raised my eyebrow at him, slightly amused that both of my brothers happened to fall for the same woman again!

"I'm just glad I'm not in this situation," I shrugged as he looked at me confused. "And what's the situation?"

"Come on, brother, you know," I looked at him and then at the picture of Damon on the wall. "Fighting over the same girl for centuries is exhausting. I would have just given up." Stefan chuckled, shaking his head as he grabbed my arm, pulling me out of our shared house.

"It's not exactly easy; we don't mean for it to happen, and clearly we wouldn't want that," he said as he walked to the car, still dragging me. I didn't move a muscle. I made my brother do all the work since he was making me leave anyway.

"Also, I'm going to be in school with you." Once he told me that, I turned my head slowly, looking at him. "Excuse me?" I shook my head in disbelief. "Oh no, no, no, no."

"Oh yes, yes, yes, yes. I'm going to be watching you like a hawk," he chuckled as he got inside the car. I leaned my head back, groaning as I got inside the car and buckled up. "This is bullshit." I rolled my eyes as I leaned my head against the window.

"Watch your mouth," he huffed as he put the keys in and started driving off. Once we got to the high school, I looked at all the laughing teenagers with their friends.

Something about this bothered me very much. I hated it. "Stef, please don't make me..." I groaned as I watched a few blonde girls pass by. "Please."

"Please, Emma, just try it out. Make friends," he said, getting out of the car, so I followed behind him, still groaning angrily, trying to piss him off so he would send me home. But that didn't work. "Shut up; the whining and groaning and whatever else you are doing isn't going to work," he huffed, clearly annoyed. But that wasn't going to stop his decision to make me go to school with him.

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes as I walked away, going to the principal's office to get my schedule. They showed me around the school and then took me to my first class.

I sat down next to a boy who looked pretty emo, like a junkie. "Welcome to your own personal hell," he said, looking at me, which made me raise my eyebrow at him.

"Good to know." I chuckled lightly, then looked at the teacher, who was clearly not interested in being here either. "My name's Emma," I told him lightly as I grabbed my pencil and started writing down what the teacher wrote on the board.

"Names Jeremy, I'm guessing you're new to Mystic Falls?" He started to write on his paper quickly, which made it really sloppy.

"Been here on and off, you can say... I was, uh..." My mind went blank. "I was homeschooled," I told him quickly, once I thought of something. I didn't think it would be that hard to think of a lie. Usually, I'm good at lying. To my brothers, at least...