CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Royce drew to a halt before the wrought iron gates of the cliff house, the engine still purring softly.

As I could not get into the house yet, I made a brief phone call to the surveillance company to request a serviceman to attend the property with a new set of keys.

Royce's eyes narrowed as he eavesdropped on my phone conversation, his gaze flickering back and forth between me and the white Maserati Levante Trofeo, with its sleek curves and gleaming chrome accents, a luxurious vehicle that was merely gathering dust in the driveway.

Finalising the emergency call-out appointment, I deposited my phone in my handbag with a sigh of relief, hoping that Royce would not yet evict me from the vehicle.

If he did, I would be obliged to wait by the gates for the serviceman's arrival, which could take over an hour.

Royce continued to scrutinise the Maserati in the driveway, his visage inscrutable. "Is that yours?"

I gave him a slight nod.

"Nice," he said, whispering the word with a hint of approval. "You won't drive it?"

I slowly swayed my head from side to side.

His jaw dropped in disbelief. "The Trofeo is a brand-new, high-performance, twin-turbocharged SUV." He looked at me like I was a threat to his sanity. "It's criminal to leave it in the driveway, not being used to its full potential."

"Oh," I feigned clueless to the vehicle's power and prestige in every drive. "What do you know about Ferrari-sourced horsepower?"

"I know that engine can rival most supercars," he said educationally, and I found his passion for top-of-the-range cars quite fascinating. "Sport-tuned suspension for agile handling, Brembo brakes for confident stopping and all-wheel drive for unstoppable traction. It's the perfect combination for a vehicle that can handle anything the road throws its way."

I marvelled at the beauty in question. "All the more reason why I should not drive it," I said, laughing lightly. "I meant what I said last night. I cannot be trusted behind the wheel, especially a monster like that."

Royce understood my reasoning, but I could tell that he thought my logic was flawed. He shook his head repeatedly. He struggled to comprehend how anyone could abandon such a magnificent vehicle on the side of the road, where it would simply accumulate dust and cobwebs.

"No driver is perfect, Liv." He whispered my name in a raspy voice that I am ashamed to admit caused a physical reaction within me. "Even the best racers in the world have accidents. But does that stop them from revving the engine? Of course not. If anything, it makes them better drivers. It teaches them what to avoid and how to handle themselves in dangerous situations."

"I could have died," I said, wishing I could remember that tragic night. "Or worse, I could have killed someone. Then, I would have to live with the guilt for the rest of my life, knowing that someone is dead because of my aptitude for drink-driving. It's not worth it. There are other ways to get around, like walking or public transportation. That way, I can keep myself and others safe. It's my responsibility to do so."

"But you didn't." His everyday approach to others was frank and sincere. He never beat around the bush, which is something I admire about him. "No one was injured. You made a mistake, but you learned from it. Don't let it hold you back."

I thought highly of his boldness and fearlessness, but I am not endowed with the same qualities. I am mentally fragile in comparison. It is my nature to worry incessantly about everything.

"Perhaps, when the universe conspires in my favour, I will take the risk." My fingers twiddled nervously on my lap. "Until then, I am fine travelling back and forth the village on foot."