Chapter Twenty | His Accomplice

"Five, seven, eight, ten, fifteen, eighteen

"Five, seven, eight, ten, fifteen, eighteen....", Nick was pointing as he counted out how many campers they had, still holding Angelina's hand as Gary was outside ringing the bell and yelling for them to come back, all campers flocking to the Mess Hall.

Suddenly all the lights in the Mess Hall switched off, all the children screaming as it did, terrified out of their minds, Angelina flinching, gripping Nicks hand tighter.

"Everyone stay calm! Everything's all right", Nick spoke over them, panicking himself, but as a counselor it was his job to put on a mask of calmness.

"You're okay, Angel", he petted her hair, stroking his fingers through her blonde locks and scratching slightly. "Everything's fine", he said it almost to himself.

"How many?", Gary asked as he came back in, mostly looking to Nick and Aviva, seeming as Angelina was still in shock processing everything.

"Twenty three", Nick told him, Aviva biting her lip in worry as she estimated how many campers they still had left outside.

"That's thirty missing at least", she guessed, glancing her eyes out the window as she looked on and out into the pitch dark, not even knowing where to start.

"Where's Cindy, Kurt, Joan?", Nick listed off the other counselors that were missing, letting go of Angelina as he began to walk over to the phone.

Angelina tearing up as her hand felt empty, turning cold as his detached from hers, keeping her eyes trained to the floor and letting her hair cover her face.

"I don't know. I haven't seen them", Gary answered, as the three walked over to the phone on the wall. "Or Tommy, or anyone."

"Like you they decided to ditch out on supervising", Aviva huffed, even in the worst situations she'd always have time to take a dig at Nick.

Nick didn't say anything to Avivas dig, jsut giving her a hard look as he pulled the phone from the wall, bringing it to his ear.

"The lights are coming on!", a boy yelled, pointing out the obvious as they began to slowly get brighter.

"Its dead", Nick groaned, slamming the phone back into its place hanging on the wall.

"We have to go. We have to warn people", Ziggy butted in to the conversation, already beginning to make her way out of the Mess Hall.

"I'm sure they heard the bell", Nick disagreed, but Ziggy wasn't stopping so he chased after her. "Hey!"

He reached out, stepping in front of her and grabbing ahold of Ziggy by her arm as he stopped her leaving.

"My sister, she's still out there", Ziggy struggled, trying to get out of his grip.

"The same sister you've hated since you were a baby?", Nick asked, Ziggy pushing him off her and going to move, Nick being quick to grab ahold of her again.

"Look, i'm sorry", he held her back. "I didn't mean it. Me and Gary will go."

"What?", Gary turned to face them, shocked at the mention of his name in the conversation that they were leaving the Mess Hall.

"Just please stay here", Nick begged.

"I can't sit here!", Ziggy argued, not wanting to feel useless.

""I'm not letting you get hurt!", Nick told her, raising his voice and causing all the campers to quieten down and look over at them, somes eyes drifting over to Angelina to see if she was reacting to this....she wasn't.

"Unbelievable", Aviva scoffed under her breath, bringing her hand up as she ran her thumb across her brow.

"What the hell?", a camper muttered behind Aviva, the girl nodding along the to campers words. What the hell indeed.

"Please, let me do my job", Nick continued to speak to Ziggy, pushing her hair back. "I'm gonna find your sister. Just stay here. Ok?"

"You", Nick pointed to Gary, having patted Ziggy lightly on the cheek before making his way out.

"Hey, you realize that's a camper right?", Gary asked, looking between Ziggy and Nick, following after him.

"Look, you make for cabin one. I'll head to nine", Nick told him as he passed Gary a flashlight.

"What if the killers still out there?", Gary panicked as Nick already began to walk away.

"That's the whole point, Gary", Nick said, walking toward the entrance of the Mess Hall, getting stopped as Aviva stood in his way, arms crossed.

"Now is not the time for one of your smart remarks Aviva", Nick grunted, looking down at the girl who was tapping her foot on the ground.

"Save any of that comforting pep talk for anyone else, you know like your girlfriend", Aviva raised a brow at him as she stepped forward. "The traumatized one that needs you right now and not the camper."

Aviva made sure to put emphasis on girlfriend, traumatized and camper as she reprimanded Nick, reminding him on the fact that he actually has a girlfriend.

Having forgot about Angelina, with wide eyes Nick was quick to turn around on his foot, making his way over to Angelina who was sat with her head facing the ground, face covered by her long locks.

Angelina hadn't heard any of what had occurred between Nick and Ziggy, her head all foggy as she drifted off into her own mind.

Only snapping out of her daze as she felt familiar hands cupping both sides of her face, her arms raising as she gripped Nicks elbows on instinct.

Kneeling on the ground on one leg Nick looked up into Angelina's eyes, giving her a small smile as he stroked his thumbs under her eyes, collecting the small tears that had gathered there.

"I'm just leaving to find everybody else, i'll be back in a bit", Nick told her, going to raise himself up when she moved her hands up to grip his wrist tightly.

"No", she whispered, pulling him back to her as tears gathered once more. "No, you can't, there's a killer out there", she shook her head.

The difference between Ziggy and Angelina was that Ziggy had been willing to let Nick go out and find her sister with a killer on the loose, whilst Angelina wouldn't even entertain the idea of having him leave the Mess Hall, not even for her own selfish reasons of wanting and needing his comfort.

The love that Angelina Ray bared for Nick Goode was so great, and how long would it take for Nick to figure that out.

"I know, but it's my job, I have to do this", Nick tried to reason with her.

"Then let me come with you", she begged, already going to stand up when Nick pushed her back down. "It's my job too", she argued.

"It's not safe out there, you'll be safe in here with Aviva", Nick told her seriously, looking deep into her eyes. "And someone needs to look after the campers."

"Please, please don't leave me", she cried out softly, her head bowing slightly as she sniffled, resting her head on their joined hands.

"I'll be back, I promise", Nick let go of her hands to wrap his arms around her, pulling her into him and squeezing tight, holding the back of her head.

"I'm scared", she admitted in a whisper, making sure only he'd be able to hear.

"Don't be", he whispered back. "You are going to be fine, nothing will happen to you", he spoke the truth.

Angelina wouldn't know, but the killer that was on the loose wouldn't go after her as long as she stayed out of the way, that's why Nick was so hellbent on her staying in the Mess Hall out of the way.

At least the Angelina now wouldn't know of this, but the more Nick Goode dug himself into this Heir Apparent role, the more he pictured himself in the future as the Sheriff with Miss Perfect at his side, his accomplice.