Prologue

[Tanjiro Kamado]

"You have to go on, no matter what"

Watching as Akaza ran off into the woods to avoid the rising sun, Tanjiro felt hot tears prick in his eyes.

From the pain or from Rengoku dying, he couldn't tell.

In a flash of anger, Tanjiro throws his katana after Akaza, his blood boiling with rage.

"Get back here you coward!" He shouts, salty tears running down his face as he stands near the edge of the woods.

Silence.

Then, the sound of Zenitsu groaning comes from behind him, catching his attention.

"Ugh.. My body hurts.." Zenitsu grumbled, slumping against Nezukos box.

Tanjiro turned to face him, wincing slightly as the wound in his stomach grazes the fabric of his uniform shirt and checkered haori.

"Is Nezuko in the box?" Tanjiro asks, trying to change the focus of his attention to his younger sister.

"Yeah.." Zenitsu answers weakly, patting the top of the box with his hand a bit.

"Is he alright?" Inosuke asks loudly, motioning to Rengokus lifeless body.

Tanjiro stays quiet, more salty tears running down his face as he stares at the dead Hashira who had sacrificed himself to keep them safe.

"Oh." Inosuke says, and he visibly starts to cry along with him.

- "Set your heart ablaze"
[Kyojuro Rengoku]