Chapter 3: Dueling Legacies

The Brooklyn Chapter of the KuroRyoshi was an endeavor undertaken by Neji's Uncle, Ndukwe in 2005. The Kuro historically operated from their headquarters in Harlem that they had held base at since the 60s, however changes to the BackSide, and growing demonic threats lead Ndukwe "Duke'' Okalu, a Sword Saint of the New York KuroRyoshi to take action. The Kuro categorize their swordsmen with 4 ranks; Trainees, the youngest and most inexperienced; Kenshi, Swordsmen on their way to veteran status; Kengo, the strongest and most capable of the organization; and Kensei, reserved for the few who have reached soundness of blade in both body & mind. Duke was one of 2 New York Kuro to achieve the title of Kensei in his time, the only other being the founder and head of the New York Chapter of the KuroRyoshi. A man shrouded in mystery, only referred to by the name Mr. Alafi. Fearing more frequent demon attacks in the heavily african populated Brooklyn, Duke decided to found the Brooklyn chapter under the nose of Alafi, creating a headquarters, a charter, and a vault, the three major components of starting a base for the Kuro to operate. Due to the Okalu man's lineage to the famed Samurai Hitora, the Head Council of the organization decided not to reprimand Duke for acting without their consent, thus legitimizing the fledgling Chapter, much to Alafi's chagrin. The Chapter was operated and run by Ndukwe up until his mysterious passing in the spring of 2018, where leadership duties were passed onto Alexandre Ogunbawo, Duke's protege and a rising star in the Organization. It was this Kuroryoshi that Neji was on his way to meeting. The one without his uncle there to guide him. The one with Lex, and a whole bunch of new Harlem members pumped in by Alafi to keep an eye on him. Neji was curious to see how Lex continued to maneuver, having half of his Chapter being double agents for a competing branch of the Kuroryoshi.

Neji parked his bike outside headquarters and made sure to keep a low profile upon entering. The Brooklyn Chapter Headquarters were located underneath a Jamaican Bodega in Utica. The shop operated as a front for the organization, and the correct words spoken to the clerk got you a key to a secret passageway behind a stack of canned peas. Neji was a Trainee, and most of his training under his uncle, Duke was done off site, so for the most part, he hadn't had many reasons to come to HQ. Since his Uncle died, Neji devoted himself to his search for Hyoukiri and the plan to kill Thanatos. Lex had given him enough leeway to where he'd only had to check in via email or text. That phone call earlier tonight was the first time he'd heard Lex's voice since December. It was April.

The base had an auditorium for meetings and conferences, that was where everyone was tonight. Neji didn't want to be "early" so he decided first he'd swing by Lex's office and snoop around for some clues. Unfortunately the moment he took the detour, he was grabbed by the arm and dragged to the meeting by Reba, who seemed to have materialized out of nowhere.

"Where the -" Neji said startled

"Hell did I come from? You're not the only one who's been uptown ninja boy. Come on, Lex is starting." Reba said, pulling Neji along to the meeting.

The Auditorium was not unlike an ornate theatre hall. Lacquered wood furnishings on the seats and tables, red velvet for the cushions and carpet, overlooked by a set of large mezzanines. Neji and Reba made their way up to one of the seats that overlooked the rest of the hall, making sure to be away from any unwanted attention from the multiple seasoned hunters down below. Even at home base, recently, with all the new faces the Brooklyn Chapter had received, it wasn't clear who was trustworthy.

The Auditorium was decorated with banners emblazoned with various symbols. Some were Samurai Kamon, indicative of the houses the members' ancestors served under, others were african religious symbols. Deities, Adynkra and the like. At center stage stood a hazel skinned man with shoulder length dreadlocks and striking slender features undercut by a well groomed beard that spanned his whole jaw. His 6'5" frame cut an imposing figure as he playfully swaggered towards the microphone. Long time Brooklyn Chapter members were gleefully cheering their leader, whilst others cheered, but with less fervour, and others simply remained silent.