chapter eighteen: october twenty second (part two)

"Don't hate me

"Don't hate me..." Sydney grimaced. Before Mave could respond, the front door swung open, and Sam stood there with his hands in the air and a massive grin on his face. Mave silently cursed Jake's security cameras.

"Mavey! Happy birthday!" Sam hopped down the stoop and scooped Mave up in a hug only Sam could give. Mave's annoyance faded quickly in his embrace, genuinely happy to see him.

"Thanks Sammy!" Her voice was muffled by his shoulder. Sam released her, his eyes filled with excitement.

"How do you feel?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"About the same as yesterday... do you know what's going on? It seems that Sydney, here, has hijacked my birthday." Mave shot Sydney a look, though she couldn't be too frustrated. Surprises, particularly of the party fashion, were not Mave's forte. She liked things she could know and prepare for, but she trusted Sydney, and knew she would never blindside her unless she felt it would actually be good for Mave.

"Actually... Jake hijacked your birthday, Sydney just helped." Sam pursed his lips, making a face that seemed like he was trying way too hard to contain his excitement.

"Oh really?" Mave raised her eyebrows, making a mental note to get onto Jake later for his big ideas taking over again.

"Mhm, I can show you, but you'll have to close your eyes." Sam smiled deviously. Mave groaned.

"I'm not good with this..." Mave reluctantly closed her eyes and felt Sam's hands grab her own as he began to lead her forward. The smell of Jake's house was distinctly unmistakable.

"Don't worry, we've all got you... I promise." Sam's voice was surprisingly reassuring. Mave felt Sydney's hand on her back as they continued to clumsily walk forward. Finally, Sam stopped, so Mave stopped.

"Okay, open your eyes..." Sydney directed, and Mave could hear the smile in her words. Mave braced herself as she slowly opened her eyes...

"Happy birthday!" A chorus of voices rang out in front of her as her eyes focused. She was standing in Jake's living room that had been entirely transformed into a starry night. Dark blue and purple balloons filled the house everywhere Mave looked, along with silver and gold streamers and shining cut out stars. Jazz music played throughout the house. Mave felt her entire body warm as her eyes landed on the group of people in front of her. The whole band was there, of course, but so was Gram and Mave's dad, who she had expected to already be on a plane back to work. Mave was too stunned to speak, she simply covered her mouth and laughed.

"Are you surprised?" Danny called out. Mave continued laughing, nodding her head yes.

"Bajabule!" Josh, who sported a gold party hat, threw his hands in the air and laughed as well. Sam leaned over and squeezed Mave in another hug as everyone started to move.

"We love you, Mavey." He said warmly before stepping away towards the kitchen. Mave happily accepted hugs from Gram and her dad, giggling at the fact that someone had gotten Gram to also wear a party hat.