Chapter two

The man showed me to my new room here and left, saying that he must have dealt with something else, but he would check on me later. He also mentioned asking these strange creatures- or as he called them melusines- if I need anything. 

Finally, I was alone and I had time to think things through. I looked around and took a glimpse at my new place. It wasn't big, but it didn't change the fact, that it was luxurious, but I guess it is normal in this place, so I'd have to get used to it sooner or later, whether I liked it or not. 

I still thought about that strange feeling when our hands came in contact for a brief moment. It was bizarre, to say the least. Actually, I was wondering if it was just me or if he felt it too because his expression didn't change at all at that moment, which made me intrigued even more if that was possible. Exhausted after this tiring and eventful day I decided it was high time to go to sleep and clear my mind during the night. I really hoped to at least gain a fraction of my memories. 

.................................

I must have woken up in the middle of the night because it was still dark outside the window. I couldn't have brought myself to go back to sleep, so it didn't make sense to do so then. That's why I decided to walk around the room to occupy myself, but after a while, I quickly got bored again. And then I got a new idea. I threw a dressing gown on my shoulders and decided to take a stroll around the place, because why not? What did I have to lose?  Carefully opening the door to my room to not wake up anybody, I went outside and then it occurred to me - I didn't know the place, I didn't know anybody, what if I got lost? But of course, firstly I act then think, I guess that's how I am. 

I decided to go forward and explore the building as far as possible, hoping that later I would be able to return to my room on my own because if someone caught me, I was more than certain that I would get into trouble. Even though that seemed much better than staring at the ceiling in my chambers.  After aimlessly wandering through the endless corridors I heard quiet music from one room and of course, my curiosity got the better of me, so I followed the sound to finally discover the source of this melody. The door to the room wasn't fully closed so it was possible to take a glimpse inside of it. The place was rather dim but even despite the ubiquitous darkness I could spot a dark feminine figure in the center.  She hummed an unknown melody to herself, dancing gracefully at the same time, she seemed as if she was in some kind of a trance, her moves fluid and full of grace. But something was off with this mesmerising performance. She poured all of her emotions into it and it was visible at first glance. She looked magnificent yet fragile at the same time, it was as if she would break at any moment. And actually, she did. The melody died and the girl stopped her moves suddenly. Quiet sobs could be heard from the doorframe. I instantly regretted coming here, it felt as if I invaded her privacy and I wanted to slap myself for it. But there was no time for wondering because I got busted by no other but the exact girl, who I was watching. She looked me straight in the eyes, shock visible on her red swollen crying face. I couldn't run away, I had to face her.

"Who are you? Why were you stalking me? Answer me or I will call the guards!" Finally, I was able to see what she looked like. She was slightly smaller than me, dressed in fancy blue clothes, and her big hat resembled a crown but what stood out the most were her eyes. Both of them had bluish colors but one eye was blue like a sky while the other was navy. 

"My lady there is no need for that! I am incredibly sorry for my awful behavior and there is nothing I can say in my defense. I was merely wandering through this tremendous building. I couldn't fall asleep due to all events that occurred yesterday so I decided that I would take a walk and clear my mind. And then I heard this beautiful music that led me to you. I was too mesmerised by your dance to go away. That's it, that's the whole story. I am sorry again for my impertinence."

"Pff... Just admit you were spying on me" Before I could say anything in my defense, she quickly interrupted me "Never mind, I understand you, because who would not be amazed by none other than the hydro archon herself." I was confused by her words, Hydro what?

"I...I don't understand. If I may ask who are you, lady?" She seemed as if words got stuck in her throat when she heard that, but pride as she was, she quickly composed herself.

"So you are that girl, Neuvillette told me about?"

"Who is Neuvillette?"

"Oh? You didn't meet the old man? How is that possible, he said that he rescued you from drowning and brought you here to none other than Palais Mermonia. Oh, my dear! It's really a shame that you couldn't see the faces of the people, truly remarkable. For sure it will be one of the main topics in all the newspapers in the near future. "

"I didn't realise that I have brought so much attention"

"Oh you did for sure. People are extremely curious about 'the mysterious girl rescued personally by none other than Iudex in person' hahaha! But fret no more! For I Focalors shall personally undertake the task of providing guidance to you."

She took my hand and drew me to the nearest couch, which I didn't notice till now. Then a tray of various desserts appeared out of nowhere before us. The girl looked at it with visible delight on her face and took a bite of what looked like a cheesecake.

"Help your self! We have a lot of to discuss so you will need energy for that."

I would be more than happy to receive some feedback from you. Have a nice day or night if you read it at late hours!