BATTLES

Shadowblaze woke up to see Thundercloud walking toward her. She yawned and stood up, her wings hanging off her, useless. "Good morning, Mom," she nickered. Thundercloud smiled and hugged her. "Good morning, Shadowblaze,"

Shadowblaze smiled and pulled away. "Did you need anything?" she asked.

Thundercloud looked at her daughter and nodded. "I need to talk to you. Follow me," she said. Her and Shadowblaze walked toward a large grove of old oak trees. Leafwing, Shadowblaze's adopted sire, was laying there next to a grave. "Hello, Shadowblaze," he nickered. Shadowblaze looked nervous as she walked closer. "Why did you need me here?" she asked, tilting her head.

"I need to talk to you about your father,"

"My father? Why? He left me!"

"He never left you, Shadowblaze. Let me tell you a story. It begins years ago, when Starwing the Healer took down Nightwing the Destroyer."

It had been many seasons since Star had defeated Nightwing. Star and his mate, Morningleaf, had formed a new herd called Sky Herd, in honor of the fallen pegasi who had given their lives to protect Anok.

Morningleaf trotted toward Star, her aqua wings hugging her belly. "Star? Are you busy? I need to talk to you," she nickered. Her face twisted into a look of pain. The black foal in question nodded. "No, I'm not busy. What do you need?" he asked, resting his wing over her back to comfort her. The pair trotted into the forest, away from their herd and out of earshot.

"What is it, Morningleaf?"

"Star, I— I'm pregnant!"

Star reared in surprise. "You—you mean I'm going to be a father?!"

"Yes."

"When exactly did it happen?"

"I have no idea, but it is what it is. I do know that we will protect this foal, even if it has starfire."

Star nodded, his brown eyes shining with excitement.

"Wait, am I the daughter of Starwing?" Shadowblaze asked, understanding the hints. Leafwing nodded. Thundercloud trotted closer to them, fluffing her feathers. Suddenly, a loud blast erupted from the herd, and a massive plume of blue flames rose into the sky at murderous speeds. Is that . . . starfire?! How? I'm the only black foal in Anok! Shadowblaze thought. The three pegasi galloped into the meadow, just in time to see a solid black stallion fly backwards into a tree, starfire racing from his mouth.

The starfire blasted across the grass and slammed into a tree, setting it ablaze.

"How is Ashwing alive!" bellowed Leafwing, referring to the black stallion being attacked.

Ashwing was a century-old stallion, one of the unknown black foals that was born when Starwing was. He'd been born to Snow Herd, and the lead mare there, Petalcloud, had always been cruel and abusive toward him. In retaliation, when he received his powers, he fled Anok and left the herds. Where he went, nobody knows. When he returned, however, he was then known as Ashwing— the Ruiner. He was called this because he ruined the herds, breaking them down until some of them went insane. He then left again, fearing pain, but after Nightwing's death and the flatlands were vacant, he went there.

Now, the dark stallion had returned. He craved seeing others in pain, worse than what he'd endured from Petalcloud.

Shadowblaze looked terrified as all eyes went to her. She gulped down her fear and slowly raised her wings, ignoring the agonizing pain. "Who are you?" she asked Ashwing, trotting toward a ledge. She was doing something crazy. The herd stood still, afraid.

Shadowblaze stood on the edge of the ledge and slowly flapped her massive wings. She galloped forward and jumped off the ledge, gliding. Her heart raced with fear— or excitement.

She pushed down her heavy wings, propelling herself into the heights. A few moments later, she managed to gain control of her wings. She hovered in front of Ashwing. "Who are you? Why are you here?" she asked, hiding the fear in her voice.

"I'm Ashwing, son of Dewbreeze and Thunderfrost. Why I'm here doesn't concern you right now." the stallion snarled, his eyes glowing a bright blue color. He took short, fast breaths. Blue sparks flowed off him like water, cold yet frightening. Ashwing flew a slow, lazy circle around Shadowblaze, assessing his opponent. Without a word, he hurtled a blue lightning bolt directly at the filly, who's reflexes jerked her out of the way.

Shadowblaze locked eyes with him, her fear flickering deep inside her eyes. "What do you want with the pegasi of Anok?" she asked.

I want to control you, Ashwing thought.

"Well, come fly with me, old stallion. Release your powers,"

As you wish, Ashwing thought.

He bit into Shadowblaze's end feathers and ripped out some flight feathers. Shadowblaze whinnied in anger and turned around, rage flashing in her eyes as she barrelled into him. The battling steeds tumbled hooves over wings, trading kicks and blows.

"You're not making it out of here, filly!" Ashwing roared, blasting Shadowblaze's hoof with starfire, burning it. The filly squealed in pain and reeled away from the stallion, who created a shield, blocking her. She closed her eyes and searched for a seed of fire inside her, but didn't find anything. Did she not have the starfire? She screamed when Ashwing flew into her. Something deep inside her awakened, and her eyes flew open, glowing white.

Her hide glowed white, and silver crackles of starfire flew off her, startling the black stallion. "What? How!" he roared, twitching with suppressed anger. The glowing died down and the filly shot into the sky, followed closely by her enemy. She flipped around and shot her power in a deadly, massive beam of light. They crashed into the soil, and Ashwing launched off the ground, flying toward Thundercloud, who reeled back in fear. Ashwing opened his mouth and roared hundreds of deadly spears at her.

Some of them pierced her hide, burning her skin. The mare screamed and collapsed, dead. Her pain-filled eyes remained open. Her mate reared and neighed his anguish into the sky. Shadowblaze looked at Ashwing, her agony flickering in her eyes. She flew into him, screaming her rage. She kicked his chest, causing him to slam into the grass. "Why did you do that?" the filly snarled.

"Because she deserved it. And when I get back, I'll do the same thing to Leafwing."

Shadowblaze bared her teeth and kicked him in the face. "You won't make it back." she growled, her eyes and hooves glowing.

The battling steeds reared, their eyes flashing with a dangerous mix of violence and fear.

One way or another, the pegasi of Anok would be free of this evil black stallion.