United Entities Prep

Alright so, everyone's dead. Like, everyone.  I don't know how or why and I don't really care, except that I have to deal with like, over 200 whiny ghosts now. I'm a reaper, by the way. Not the Grim Reaper, the skeleton with the cloak and scythe, he's my boss. And also not a skeleton. Reapers are basically The Grim's employees, I mean, he can't deal with all those dead people all around the world, he's not Santa Claus. (Who I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.) I kinda just stick to one town, I've always been here and it's got a fair amount of people. Well, it did before they all just up and died today. I woke up this morning to start my daily patrol when I saw literally everyone in town was a ghost. I sent a couple of naggy ones on their way before looking around to see what had happened. Interesting thing, they were all murdered. Or it looked like it, anyways. They were all bloody and their bodies faces were mostly all shocked. So I went to work and started sending them up, or down for some of them.

"Need some help?"

Ah, human conversation. I might tune in. Nothing else was said.

"Um, hello?" Wait, no one could see me and everyone was dead, who the hell was this? I whirled around to see a dark skinned girl who looked about my age, with blue eyes, long braided hair, black feathered wings, and horns on her head. There was a guy who had the same wings and horns standing next to her as well, who was tan, blonde, and heavily freckled. Other reapers? I'd never seen one before but I had always assumed there were others somewhere. What were they doing in my town?

"You deaf or something?" She asked, looking at me like she expected an answer. Oh yeah, she could see me! I could talk to her! I'd never talked to anyone before, since I was the only reaper here and no one could see me.

"Why are you here?" It probably wasn't the greatest first question to ask, but this was my town, I think. No other reaper had ever come here before.

"You didn't think they'd dispatch only one reaper to a whole town massacre, did you?" The guys standing next to her asked. Dispatch? What were they talking about? Stay in your own lane. Or town. Or wherever they were from.

"What do you mean dispatch? This is my town." They looked at me confused. I must've said something wrong, watching other people talk to people wasn't the best way to learn, I guess.

"You don't own this assignment." The girl said, putting her hands on her hips. When a girl puts her hands on her hips, I think it means they're annoyed.

"What assignment? You guys just showed up in my town out of the blue talking about dispatching and stuff!" If all real conversations were this confusing, I'd rather keep watching them from afar.

"Wait, you don't go to UEP?" The guys asked, looking much more friendly than the girl.

"What's that?" I asked. Maybe there was some reaper company or something that I didn't know about?

"Oh crap, you're a straggler." He said with a facial expression I wasn't familiar with. I thought I knew most of the words and emotions people used in basic conversations, but I guess not.

"Should we take her to the dean?" The guy asked, turning to the girl like I wasn't there. This I was familiar with. When people talk about you like you aren't there it normally means they don't like you or they don't think you'll understand what you're talking about.

"I mean, I think that's protocol." The girl said, shrugging.

"Um, alright." The guy said, turning to me again. "We're gonna... take you with us. Cool?" The girl swatted him on the back of the head with a look of irritance.

"Real smooth, Jay." She said, as I backed away. These people were more than suspicious, showing up out of nowhere and talking about something called UEP and now they were trying to kidnap me? Yeah, hard pass. They noticed me and Jay seemed to panic.