The Warriors of Kyoshi / Good-For-Nothing Island

If you had asked me this morning, I would not have said that I think I'd win against a bunch of middle-aged men in a game of Pai Sho.

But wow, I did not think I'd lose this bad.

At least everyone else seems disappointed with their winnings so far. General Iroh is beating us all quite squarely.

With the final defeat, cheers ring out from our audience for the general, and I can't help but cheer along. As much as I hate to lose, I feel like it's okay to lose to someone who's so obviously into this game and seems to be the best player on the ship.

I wonder idly if my dad has ever faced off against him when I see the man himself, walking towards the general. The cheers die down when everyone sees their captain.

"General, we have reports of another sighting of the Avatar."

"Oh? And where is the elusive master located now?"

"Whaletail Island."

The general sighs. "It seems my winner's luck is about to end."

As the crowd disperses, I see my dad try to eye me for a chat. He's my dad and all, but he's been very uptight lately about keeping an eye on me. I understand that he's totally pissed about me interfering with Zhao and all that, but we're stuck on a boat now so it's just gotten a little annoying.

So instead of giving him anything, I turn my attention to the general.

"Why is your winner's luck about to end?"

"It's time I tell Prince Zuko that we don't know the Avatar's location."

"Oof," I reply in commiseration. "Tough break."

He gets dramatic, feigning his travesty with a hand to his brow. "Oh, won't someone help me deliver the news? I'm sure not to face his wrath with a witness."

That's right when my dad comes up to us, his face a mask as usual.

"Y/n can accompany you in a moment, general. I need to speak with my child for a moment."

The general seems happy enough with that, and I'm pulled aside to the wide window out of earshot. I'd rather look at the ocean view than dad's disappointed gaze, so I do.

"Do you think the prince or the general suspects anything?" he asks in hushed tones.

"No, we've been over this. Why would they? Nothing happened."

"The prince was nearly killed. You don't think that's going to raise some flags back home?"

"I had nothing to do with the Agni Kai, dad."

"But because you were there, the scrutiny on me and you will be in full force. I don't like you hanging out with the prince too often."

"I see him everyday to fight, not to chat. He's not interested in being my friend, so I'm pretty sure we're in the clear."

We've had this conversation about ten times since we docked with Commander Zhao, but sometimes parents think that reiterating a point will make the outcome different, or something.

"Look at me, Y/n."

I do.

"Commander Zhao knowing who you are is not a good thing. I just need you to be careful. You know what would happen if we're found out."

"Well, actually, I don't know exactly what would happen. Just the general gist. Gloom and doom, and all that."

He frowns. "Please, just don't draw too much attention to yourself."