One

The push broom moved across the floor, cleaning up every bit of filth that covered it

The push broom moved across the floor, cleaning up every bit of filth that covered it. The time sat at nine o'clock post meridiem, which was later than he usually had to stay. One of his co-workers called in sick, leaving him to clean both their areas for the night. He didn't mind having to do the extra work since cleaning gave him some peace.

Zachariah worked for a cleaning service; a job he got two months after being released from prison. He considered it a lucky shot since the owner, Mr. Marshall, was a man from his old neighborhood. Mr. Marshall believed in granting second chances to those who actually wanted to turn their lives around, and Zachariah was grateful for the opportunity. He viewed it as the first step to putting the pieces of his life back together.

2Pac's voice flowed through his eardrums as he finished cleaning through the lobby. He had already dusted and wiped down everything, so he was free to move on to the offices. As he entered the first office, he was caught off guard when he saw the woman sitting at her desk with her eyes glued to the file in front of her.

"I apologize for interrupting. I thought everyone had left the building," Zachariah said, lowering the headphones from his ear.

He wasn't expecting anyone to be in the office since everyone that worked in the building left usually left around six. Sometimes some of the lawyers would stay late to work on their cases, and other nights the building would be cleared out.

"You're fine," she smiled at him up at him. "I was just finishing up. I'll be out of your hair in just a second."

"You don't have to rush. I can always come back." He said to her and she nodded her head as he backed out of the office.

He moved on to cleaning around every other office on the floor. He figured she would be done by the time he circled back around. Placing the pair of Beats back over his ears, he let the music entrance him as he moved to dumping the trash in the next office he went to.

Half an hour later, he found himself back at her office door. He noticed the light was still on, so he knocked on the door. He heard her voice telling him to come in and he stepped inside.

"You can just work around me. I apologize. I'm not always this late finishing up," she told him as she continued making notes from the file she was browsing through. "It's just that I have to be in court in the morning."

"That's cool," he told her as he moved to retrieve the trash bag from the trash can that sat next to her desk.

Once he disposed of it, he replaced it with new bag and placed it back next to her desk. He went back to his cart to grab his cleaning supplies and started cleaning around her office. He made a mental note to come back and mop the floor once he was sure she was gone.

"Thank you," the woman said as he was walking to the door. She squinted her eyes to look at his name tag. "Zachariah?"

"You can call me Zach," he told her with a small smile.