Apple White?

Apple gracefully entered the school as usual and gave a practiced and perfected smile to any of her classmates. She added a wave to any of her friends before she made a quick detour. She wasn't worried about being late though, she typically arrived during breakfast to have time to socialize with her peers as her mother emphasized, it's just that sometimes she took that time to socialize with a specific someone who wouldn't be considered a "peer".

It wasn't difficult for her to make a few turns and twists while keeping up an easygoing appearance so no one would even question where she was headed. She'd done it so many times that she was practically a natural by that point.

So when she finally reached the small cut off section of one of the more unused lounges she smiled at the familiar figure sitting at a table.

"Headmaster." She greeted gently and sat across from the man who nodded his head politely with a chuckle.

"Apple, I'm sure I've told you that you don't have any reason to worry about an old bookkeeper like myself."

"You say that but anyone would be worried about someone readjusting to life after spending so much time locked away. What happened to you was so fairy wrong."

Giles eyes softened as he lightly tapped the table a few times. Apple's eyes watched his hands before looking back at the content expression he held.

"I understand your concern, but after spending so much time away from people and only having time to think, I'd much rather spend the rest forgiving and bonding with the people around me. Wouldn't you?"

Apple's eyebrows furrowed before she turned her head. She stayed quiet for a few seconds but Giles obviously didn't mind as he took a sip of his tea and waited.

"Just because you don't feel the need to be upset over what happened... doesn't mean it was okay, or that everyone just has to, to, forgive him for it."

Giles couldn't help but notice how tense his student looked while she spoke about his brother. It was a strange sight to see but he could understand. Apple, more than any other student at Ever After, had trusted Milton and that trust was now completely shattered. She was of course still polite with him, but the man himself had even noticed how tight the princess had became when he was involved.

"Child, you're right not to give your forgiveness so easily, it should be earned. But frankly, I simply missed my brother and can't bring myself to dwell on the past. But your feelings are appreciated as well, and maybe knowing he earned your ire might teach my brother a little lesson." He chuckled and Apple's shoulders relaxed a bit as a fond smile over took Giles.

"Well frankly, he more than deserves a lesson or two in my opinion."

Giles laughed again, "Perhaps you're right. Anyway, would you like to have a cup of tea with me child or is it time for you to head to class?"

Apple didn't even need to look at the clock hanging above the door to shake her head and pick up the extra cup she knew was set there just for her. "I would love to join you for a cup before class."

————

Giles was back in the cave and held the Ladybug earrings and the black cat ring in his hands for only a few seconds before Tikki and Plagg both popped out.

"Do you intend to make Apple White a holder Master?" Wayzz asked first as the other two kwami looked at him curiously.

"Yes, I think she would become a great holder of the ladybug miraculous."

Tikki made a noise just as Plagg huffed. Giles blinked a few times before setting down the miraculous in front of him.

"Do you two not agree?"

"Apple is a sweet child, and could be a good ladybug but..."

"Listen Giles, you haven't had much experience with aura matches yet but I can tell you easily that she's a natural Black Cat."

"Really? Are you sure?" He didn't mean to question the ancient gods he was working with but Apple White? A Black Cat? Even though he'd gotten to know the girl nicely over their few meet ups, she was always a nice and proper princess... which weren't exactly traits Plagg found interest in. In the past he had actually expressed a distaste for royals in general which Giles had intended to respect.

"I know what I felt. And I'm just as surprised as you, I never thought I would find a Royal as suited to wield my miraculous as she is but, here we are."

"And you're okay with this Tikki?"

"As I was saying earlier, she could be a good ladybug, but she felt a bit too... jumbled for me to pick her as a holder."

"Oh? Did you feel that too Plagg?"

The destruction kwami simply waved him off as he took to exploring the cave, probably for food while Tikki rolled her eyes.

"Plagg actually has a preference for things like that. In many cases his holders have a lot going on in their life and the experiences they gain and the exploration of themselves tend to help them in the long run." She then sighed and gave Giles a look he couldn't easily identify.

"He also tends to pick people who have big hearts, they're full of their emotions and may not always know how to process or expel them. But they're typically very driven and extremely loyal to the people around him. Apple clearly fits those marks."

Giles hummed in thought but nodded. When he took in the kwami he promised to himself that he would listen and be as respectful of their opinions and thoughts as he could be. He trusted their foresight and their knowledge of themselves to believe they knew their matches better than he might.

"Okay, then it sounds like we have our new black cat."