Episode 17 - The Real Party Begins

"I didn't expect you to be such a great dancer?" Teri complimented as the two tiptoed around each other's feet barely grazing each other and staying perfectly on beat.

"Might I say the same to you, Lady Teresa." Asher chided back as he spun her away and pulled her back.

"Oh drop the honorifics." Teri complained as she found herself in his arms. "It's irritating."

"Says the handmaiden."

"And shuts the knight." She puts a period to his teasing.

Asher chuckles and they effortlessly continue their dance. The two closest confidants of the Lady, in perfect sync with each other.

The beat of the music began to pace faster and faster with the steps becoming faster along with it. Soon many couples opted to drop and return to the side due to the increasing difficulty in trying to stay in line with the song.

However, people stared as a few pairs remained on the dance floor, one of which were Asher and Teresa.

They took each step with confidence as they seemed like experts, perfectly knowing what the other intended to do and acting accordingly to their movement.

Teri smiled as the two stared at each other's faces, their bodies completely in line with the song.

As the crescendo began to rise, so did they. Other nobles began to stare as the remaining few also slowly dribbled out until only the two remained on the floor.

"Are you ready to end this?" Asher grinned.

"Ever am I." She responded and Asher pulled her in then spun her out of his arms like a top. She delicately stood on the tips of her feets as she pulled the knights around her and had him catch her fall with his chest and their arms tangled in a cross shape pattern.

The moment they ended, other nobles began to clap as the two were heavily exhausted from the dance they just did.

"That was exquisite wouldn't you say?" Asher laughed a bit as he and Teri pulled away from each other.

"Stop speaking like a noble and get some water for both of us." She laughed back through her heaves. "I'm so thirsty…"

"Fair enough." Asher led the two of them to the small water fountain to grab a drink. As the two of them drank their water in peace, the Knight began conversation. "You think Lady Alejandra would appreciate a good dancer."

"If it's you, I'm sure she would." Teri fiddled with her glass. "My Lady has quite an impeccable taste, after all."

The both of them chuckled. "I'm about to leave the Duke soon." Asher frowned with a sigh. "My letter of notice was sent earlier this week…My father…He's expecting me to inherit the march soon."

Teri's face turned sour. "You're leaving?"

"Not yet but…will."

The maid looked hurt but she composed herself immediately. "Does the Lady know?"

"Not yet…" Asher sighed and stared at the refraction of light in his water. "I was going to talk to her about it tonight but she…well…she was a bit too busy I guess."

"Ash…"

"Don't feel too bummed out." He nudged her shoulder. "It's been a long time coming…and I'll likely be the Marquis the next time we meet."

"Will I see you?"

"Unlikely. I'll be far too busy with deskwork and studying." His laughter was filled with bitter aching. "I won't be seeing you guys in person for a while."