Chapter 2

"Ok Ms. Ali, here you go, " says the officer as he lets me out if the back seat of the cruiser. "Put on these booties and gloves and collect your belongings. Please do not touch anything except those things in your room."

I nod my head as I follow him inside my house. Well, its not mine anymore; the silence gives off an eerie feeling- the feeling that this house carries some sort of deep dark secret.

I pack up a suitcase as fast as I can and get out of the house, when I get out I see JJ leaned up against his Civic. Lugging my suitcase behind me I run to him.

"Emilee, " he says as he lovingly rubs the back of my head, "I'm so sorry. Look we're going to be okay. You are going to be okay."

Through sobs I manage to thank him.

"Come on Emilee, let's go. We'll grab some dinner and then head home okay?"

"Yeah- that sounds good. Thank you Jay."

"No problem."

We get into the car and JJ pulls away.

"Thank you so much."

"Emilee, look anything for you. You can stay with me as long as you need to. I'm sorry that there isn't more I can do."

"I just don't understand. What the hell were they thinking? My entire life could have been ruined. I knew Tito was into drugs; that I knew there was no denying it. But cocaine is hard shit, and then he's selling?! I hope they keep him in jail a long time. I can't even bear the thought of him. And my mother, she knew Jay. She fucking knew. I'm supposed to be going to college and with everything that's going on that seems so distant now."

"Emilee, you don't mean that. About your brother and mom. They love you, they just made really awful choices. And you'll still be able to go, you still have everything going for you."

"I don't know Jay, its not even that."

"Well, what is it?"
--------------------

"Mrs. Ali, is there anything you want to tell us? Investigators are at your home doing a brief search. Is there anything else you need to tell us."

"Don't answer that" advises her lawyer.

The officer, obviously annoyed says, "Okay, then I guess we're done here. The district attorneys office will advise you of the charges in the coming days."

"Thank you office Romero." Says the lawyer. The officer walks out of the room.

"Ok, Mrs. Ali. My name is Franklin Hernandez and I was assigned to your case by the DA. I looked over the information that they have and unfortunately you already gave a confession but from here on out you are not to speak to anyone without my being present do you understand?"

"Yeah. I don't know what to do. My daughter must hate me, do you think I could call her?"

"I think it's better to give her some time, I'm sure this is a very traumatic experience for her. Give her some time. " Says the lawyer. 

Just then a man dressed in a suit walks in, "Good afternoon Mrs. Ali, Mr. Hernandez" 

"Good afternoon Detective Ross" answers the lawyer.

"We'll be taking your client over to the county jail while she awaits arraignment."

"Fair enough."

"I do have a question however." the detective says, 

"You may direct any question to me Detective."

"I don't think you can answer this one Hernandez. Ms. Ali, one of my officers on the scene advised me that they found a pregnancy test in the garbage." 

Her eyes go wide as the officer continues, "The test was positive, Mrs. Ali, is it yours?"

"No. It's not."

"Is there any chance that you are? It's important for us to have this information on file to ensure proper care,"

"No, detective. I can assure you I am not pregnant."

"That was all, thank you."

-----------------------

"Hello? Emilee? What is it?" Jay says to me while placing his hand on my leg.

I look into his hazel eyes and they're filled with genuine concern. I look at him and try to hold in my tears because I know he deserves so much better. I don't want to ruin his life. 

"Justin- I- I'm pregnant."