Got Lovestruck Went Straight to My Head

THEN

Olysia meekly walked through the Grand Palace. She wanted nothing more than to escape the gloriously extravagant building that seemed to try and hide all of the ugly things that happened in it.

The King decided to keep Olysia right next to him the entire morning, constantly throwing his arm over her shoulder but never letting her talk. She hated every moment of it but the Darkling needed her there, so she remained silent and allowed herself to be used.

Now that she was free from the suffocating room she walked into the kitchen, hoping to steal some pastries from the cooks or servants out of pity. When they first saw the young girl being introduced to the King of Ravka, their faces were full of remorse for something she did not know yet. They would always give her something as she left, but there was no one there. Only a plate of pastries with candied strawberries covered in powdered sugar were there.

Olysia frowned because she wanted to take one, but she didn't want to get the cooks in trouble.

"I'll take one if you take one." A voice came out of nowhere.

Olysia snapped her head in the direction of the sound and was met with a blonde boy with hazel eyes grinning slyly at her. One look at his fancy clothing let her know he was the son of someone important.

"I was simply appreciating how pretty they looked." She bowed her head in respect. "The Grand Palace is lucky to have such talented cooks."

"Yes, very lucky." The boy wrinkled his nose at her obvious diplomatic actions. "So, are we stealing them?"

"No?" Olysia's eyes flickered from the desserts to the boy.

"And why not?"

"Why would we?" Olysia furrowed her eyebrows.

"Because they look delicious." He started stepping closer to the plate. "That's reason enough for me."

"And if we get caught?"

"Who said we would?" He dramatically looked around the empty kitchen. "Besides, I don't see anyone who can stop us." He kept eye contact with Olysia and smirked as he grabbed one. "Your turn."

Olysia frowned at his disregard of consequences. "I'm not stealing anything."

"It's a pastry, not the crown jewels."

"Some of us can get in trouble because we are not the son of someone important." She was starting to get frustrated at the boy's attitude. He wouldn't get in trouble if they were caught, she would.