Happy pretending

You swore I'd never make it into your head

I thought you never could get under my skin

I know you cannot take back all that we said,

Are you happy or do you pretend

Do I ever cross your mind?

Picture your body laying next to mine

Does she know you like I do,

Or is she just something to do?

-

Aisha Badru

***

"You okay?" asked the blond girl.

Kiara and Sarah were sitting on the beach, Cleo was sunbathing next to them. Kiara stared out at the sea where the four others were surfing, her towel clutched to her shivering body.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" lied the curly-haired girl, turning her gaze to her blond sister.

"I don't know, maybe everything, the pills, your panic attack yesterday, JJ and Amelia..." she said, looking into her friend's eyes, Sarah's chocolate brown eyes filled with pity.

"So you know about JJ and Amelia too, do the others know too?" asked Kiara.

"No, they don't."

"So JJ only told you and not the others?" she asked a confused look appeared on her face.

"No, he didn't tell me anything, I heard Amelia say it to you, I didn't know."

"Oh..." Kiara exhaled, it was the only thing that got past her lips.

"I'm sorry Kie." spoke her friend, her voice almost a whisper.

Kiara only shook her head and let her head hang down.

"Come here," said her blonde friend, wrapping her arms around her. Kiara buried her head in her shoulder, wetting Sarah's shirt. However, Sarah did not care about that, she had to be here for Kiara now.

"It's okay, it's okay. You can let it out." she whispered in Kiara's ear, her voice tender, stroking her friend's brown curls.

After a moment, Kiara pulled away and looked into her friend's eyes.

"He promised me, he promised me it was forever." she sobbed, tears rolling down her tan cheeks, but Sarah was quick to wipe them away. 

"I know Kie, I'll have a word with him." reassured Sarah, grabbing Kiara's trembling hands.

"No, Sarah it's okay. I'm not even mad at him."

"What? Kie he cheated-" but Sarah got cut off by her friend.

"Sar it has been two years. The last two years I've been thinking about that, you know what if he moves on. I just don't think I dared to see it. JJ also has his own life and if he wants to move on, he can and I'm not going to stop him. I'm happy for both of them, for Amelia and JJ."