Chapter 1

Destiny and Rye had left the fair earlier that day. They decided to stay for the full half-moon. They had promised their sister that when they were ready to settle, they would return to the fair. After walking for a bit, they found themselves on dry, dead grass. The river was blocked from entering the lands by a fallen tree trunk. The other trees that were still standing were almost black with no leaves on any branches. The area felt eerie, as if it was haunted by a vengeful spirit.

"Woah, this place is creepy." Destiny chuckled, a small smile forming on her face. "C'mon! Let's explore!" She immediately dashed ahead, drinking in the sights around her. 

"Hey! Wait up!" Rye trotted after her, though he couldn't quite shake the uneasy feeling he had in his gut. The dry grass crunched uncomfortably beneath his paws as a breeze whistled past the two cats. 

"Look at these feathers!" The brown and white molly scooped up vibrant golden feathers. "They look like budgie feathers. Don't they look pretty?"

"Wait, I think I hear something," Rye's ear twitched. He picked up the sound of tiny feet crunching on the grass. Opening his jaws, the taste of prey bathed his tongue. "I think there's a chipmunk nearby," The tom instinctively dropped into a hunting crouch. He slowly inched toward the sound until the chipmunk was in sight. Anticipation tingled in his paws as he leaped for the critter. However, instead of landing on a chipmunk, he crashed into another thing.

"Ack!" The other entity jumped back, his eyes wide in surprise. It was another cat. He had fluffy dark ginger fur and bright green eyes. His front legs were white, as was his tail-tip. He had another white on the top of his muzzle. "Who are you? What are you doing here? You need to get out of here!" Before Rye could answer anything the ginger tom was saying, he was already ushering Rye away. 

"Hey Rye, what's taking so long?" Destiny peered around the shrub where she was standing. "Oh, that's not a chipmunk! Who's this?" She mewed with a purr.

"There are more of you?!" The ginger tom gulped. "You both need to leave, now! It's not safe here!" He continued to usher them both out.

"Wait! The feathers!" Destiny added, her ears perking up when she realized. But they were already at the border, where the grass was green again.

"Don't come back! It's not safe!" The ginger tom added before dashing away. His tail was still bristled from surprise as he dipped out of sight.

"Who was that?" Destiny tilted her head.

"I don't know," Rye replied. "I crashed into him when trying to pounce on that chipmunk, then he urged me to leave."

"He didn't even let me grab those feathers!" Destiny'd tail lashed in frustration. "I'm going back for them,"

"Wait!" Rye mewed, putting his tail out in front of her. "He said it was dangerous, what if you get hurt?"

"What could possibly hurt me? A blade of dry grass?" Destiny scoffed, her blue eyes hardening with determination. "I'm going back in there,"

"No!" Rye stepped in front of her. "Fine, I'll grab them for you." He huffed. 

"What, you don't trust me?" She gave her littermate a gentle jab.

"Yes, that's exactly it. Remember the last time we went somewhere dangerous? Crystal and I had to practically drag you out because you didn't want to leave!" The gry and brown tom recalled.

"Alright fine, you can grab them for me," Destiny's ears heated with with embarrassment. With a nod, Rye trotted back into the drylands. The bright golden feathers stood out easily amongst the dead grass. Rye swiftly scooped them up in his jaws.