joshua bassett: he was a nerd, she did ballet. what more can i say? (college AU)

summary: it's a university AU in nyc, cuz what better place is there for a  rom-com moment? lucky for you there's a really cute guy standing up at the podium in the latest student government meeting... who seems to like  learning more about pirouettes and lifts. or maybe he just likes the way you look in pink. 🩰🩰🩰

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

it's your second year of university, and your dance classes are getting more intense than what you've ever done before... and you're loving every minute, even if your feet are killing you. but you're studying your passion in the most beautiful city in the world. even if new york was recently named the most expensive in the world... your  grandma's got a rent controlled apartment in harlem that has in-unit laundry, a dishwasher, and rooms for both you and your childhood friend to sleep in. plus central air. there's no way in hell you're ever passing it up, regardless of whether or not your downstairs neighbors  hate it when you stay up late practicing.

for their luck though, your friend and now roommate is looking to work in diplomacy and international relations, after having seen that queen amelia mignonette thermopolis renaldi of genovia went to the woodrow wilson school in princess diaries 2: royal engagement.  she said, and these were her exact words, "it's either i become mia  thermopolis and marry a chris pine type, or become an elle woods type and marry a luke-wilson-as-emmett-forest type." she's a sweetheart  though, and you both have a love for pink. so when she has these  movie-based ambitions, you go with it because this girl will probably end up taking over the political world while you're taking over the dance world.

so anyway, because this girl's plotting pink-filled world domination,  she's been getting her start in the university student government, and  she's doing a great job. she lost the election for sophomore class  president, but she says the guy who won is really nice and working with him as sophomore vice president hasn't made her sick yet, which is high praise from her so you're not entirely annoyed at the idea of attending the next meeting with her. besides, you've been meaning to branch out more and make friends who aren't in the dance program, because let's be real... most of the girls taking ballet are thin, white, wealthy and it can be difficult to have a variety of discussions with them, no matter how much you love talking about the professors with them. hopefully there are a couple more people of color (besides you and your friend) that you can talk to, and befriend.

after a long train ride down to campus and grabbing some food at one of the trucks outside from your favorite vendor who always serves you extra for the same price, you and your friend head inside and rush to catch the elevator. thankfully, a (really cute) guy holds the elevator open for you both, and as the doors close your friend seems to recognize  him and so she begins talking to him about some school issue being brought up in tonight's event. while you're looking at your email to  check if any professors are suddenly assigning work due at 11:59, you  feel the guy's curious and intrigued eyes glancing towards you. in such a  short elevator ride, you've never felt so flattered.

so when the cute elevator guy asks for your name, you can't help but feel sad when the elevator doors choose that exact moment to open up. of  course the cute elevator guy continues to be a gentleman and once more holds the doors open for you and your friend, so you tell him your name in a quiet tone as you walk past. not accounting for the chatter going on, you don't realize that he couldn't hear your reply.

the room begins to quiet down as your friend makes her way to the  front of the room, so you quickly find a seat near the wall and set your bag to rest on your chair. and as you look up to focus on the meeting that your friend was so excited about, you're happy to see some members of the black student union, and make a mental note to talk to some of them after the meeting. but then your eyes focus on the podium at the front of the room, and are surprised to see "cute elevator guy" standing there, talking about starting off the student government meeting as  sophomore class president. so this is the guy who won. does it make you a  bad friend to say you would've voted for him too, based on that smile alone? wow, you could get used to these meetings -- and now you feel put on the spot, because all of a sudden he's making eye contact with you.