Chapter 1: Unexpected Turbulance

Dear Mr. Davis,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as a fifth-year student.

Term begins on September 1st.

Preliminary supplies have been collected for you and will accompany you on your journey to the castle.

As you are aware, the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction for Underage Sorcery prohibits the use of magic by those under the age of seventeen outside school. However, due to your unique circumstances, the Ministry has graciously agreed to allow Professor Fig to help you hone your spell-casting before escorting you from London to the castle for the start-of-term feast and Sorting Ceremony.

Sincerely,

Matilda Weasley

Deputy Headmaster

~~~~

Even after reading the letter so many times that he could perfectly quote it word for word, it still didn't seem real. After years of waiting, Maxwell Davis was finally accepted into one of the most prestigious magic schools in the world: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

According to Professor Eleazar Fig, his mentor, it was uncommon for a child like him to not develop magic until later in life, aka late bloomer. However, it was practically unheard of for a student to join the school in their fifth year unless they were a transfer student.

And now, here he was in a nearly empty street, patiently waiting to start his journey as Professor Fig scrambled about, fretting over every little thing under the sun.

"Ah, there we are," Eleazar announced as he finished his rounds. "Got everything packed and ready to go. It's hard to believe how time has flown since the Ministry chose me to be your mentor and I must say, you're handling yourself very well with your wand, considering that it is a hand-me-down. But I am very sure once you have your wand, which you will be able to purchase in Hogsmeade, you'll find something more suitable to your liking. Are you ready to go?"

Maxwell nodded. "Yes, sir. I must ask, though. Why exactly are we on this street of all places? You said something about waiting for someone...but whom?" He asked.

"A dear friend of mine is coming along with us. He was a part of the Hogwarts Alumni like I am and I have a feeling he will be a great addition to your studies." Professor Fig explained.

As soon as the words left the elder's mouth, a man in a slightly disheveled suit and tie appeared out of thin air, a nauseous expression was on his face as he tried to get his bearings. A girl about Maxwell's age was with him and she seemed too excited to show any signs of what Professor Fig had called Apparation sickness, unlike the man she was traveling with.

She had long brown hair that tumbled in waves down her shoulders. Her blue-gray eyes seemed to sparkle in the hazy light of the street, reminding him of the sea after a storm. Her faint yet gentle smile made him feel a little warm. As she met his gaze, he immediately felt his heart stumble in his chest as he bashfully looked away, breaking free of her spell.

"George, good to see you, lad! Maxwell, this is George Osoric. An esteemed member of the Ministry of Magic in London." Eleazar greeted as he patted his friend on the back.

"Eleazar, finally found you," George spoke once he recovered.

"I hope my instructions on how to find us weren't too cryptic."