Chapter 31: Trapped

With the phone to her ear, Rachel absentmindedly scanned the admissions folder on the old desktop situated in the Student Council room. Finding Narong's record had been easy, it was Rawat's that was proving difficult to find. Suppressing a yawn, Rachel glanced at the watch. It was far too early in the morning for the Student Council members to start showing up. Though it afforded her the privacy she required, she had been forced to ditch her friends. Hell would freeze over before Marisa got out of bed earlier than required.

"Hello," answered Monica sleepily.

Rachel smiled, "Hi, Monks. I am already in uni. I had a few things to prepare for the Student Council so I came over early. You and Mars will have to book a cab. Also, could you please bring some breakfast for me?"

"Sure," replied Monica with a yawn. "But Rache, will you be able to come for the debate club meeting today? It's the last for this semester."

Rachel made a face and shook her head. "I don't think I can. You and Mars will have to deal with yourselves."

Monica frowned, "Ok, but don't allow P' Day to overwork you."

Rachel was scrolling down when an entry caught her eye. Blinking, she read it again. Niam had been right, she had to let the boys know.

"I will call you later. Leave my breakfast in my locker if you don't find me in the Student Council room."

Puzzled, Monica scratched her head. "Whatever do you mean?"

The line went dead. Staring at the phone in her hand, Monica bit her lips. Something was going on. She could sense it even if Rachel was not forthcoming. She battled for a moment with the desire to relay this information to her father and Rachel's need for privacy. Finally, she let it go. If by tomorrow, Rachel failed to confide in her, she would set her father's minions digging.

..............................................................................

"Check if the microphone is attached securely,"instructed Danish in a concerned voice. "It must remain out of sight at all times."

Milan adjusted the said mic concealed behind his layered shirt. "Relax man, we are as ready as we'll ever be."

Niam frowned, "Be careful. Narong is as dangerous as Rawat is. I have set up numerous cameras along the periphery. No matter which way you stand, you will be visible onscreen in the van hidden behind the alley."

"Was it wise?" asked Rachel glancing around uneasily. "It's well past 8pm, most of the students have already left and this alley usually remains deserted. We should have chosen another location to set up this meeting."

Milan rolled his eyes in exasperation. "The meeting time and location were dictated by Narong. I could not disagree lest he gets suspicious."

Danish patted Milan's back. "All the best, buddy. Be safe. We will rush back to you as soon as we get Narong's confession on tape."

Milan grinned as he lounged against a graffiti covered wall, "Sure, I have this."

Danish nodded before gesturing to Niam and Rachel. "Come along. Narong should be here any minute now."

As his friends disappeared, the smile fell off Milan's face. He nervously let out a breath, steadying himself.

Soon he could hear several footsteps entering the dilapidated alley. Narong had brought reinforcements. Never mind, he was well prepared.

With a mini entourage of ugly looking thugs following behind, Narong came into view. Taking in his tormentor's face, he frowned.  "Why am I not surprised it is you?"