Chapter 4 Intruder

Nightfall came. From the training area of the fourth division, far enough for the sound not to disturb the clinical areas, pink fireworks decorated the sky indicating the birth of a daughter.

A masked man watched the streams of pink burst through the night sky. He sighed.
"I hope this one is normal." He muttered.

Onmitsukidō falls under the Second Division, and answers to their Captain and Central 46. However within what is the equivalent to the Seireitei's secret forces, there is a hidden branch. Central 46 has long been wary of the balance of authority between their own rule and the military force of Gotei. Thus among the Onmitsukidō are those secretly selected to operate under Central's orders without communication with their captain. Juzo was such a man, a Phantom, he understood that many of the orders of the council would be considered abhorrent and amoral in the eyes of most, but ultimately was for the greater good of the Soul Society. It's true that the Second Division is compliant with such orders as capturing and imprisoning individuals with potential to become powerful who are not guilty of any crime in the Maggot's Nest to prevent them from growing into a threat, but it's doubtful that those same individuals would go a step further to keep the Soul Society safe from future dangers.

He thought his heart had been dead many years ago, but somehow it took a toll on him when his assigned targets were still small and cute. Of course this one wasn't deemed a target yet. Either himself or another Phantom planted by Central 46 would have to procure information or examine the child to determine if it should be snuffed out before it becomes a problem.

The last 'abnormal' child born within the Seireitei was roughly fifty years ago. He was assigned to get rid of that one too, but a strange thing happened. Someone else got to him first. The child disappeared without a trace and the case was left unsolved.

Another failure wouldn't be accepted. His handlers at Central were certain that more of their kind had managed to steal the child away and were in the process of trying to form a gathering of force out of these abnormals.

Still... Another captain's child. Would he even be able to get close?

--

It had been four months.
That insect was lurking again...
Should he crush it?

Gin was perched on a balcony of the Ninth Division, overlooking part of the Tenth Division area. He wasn't even hiding that he was watching from afar... at least not anymore. Izuru had reported that he felt an unfamiliar presence every time he went to the Tenth Division to either assist Matsumoto directly or to babysit. Gin had seen it himself. Three of them, never at the same time, and always within observable distance from the baby. If Rangiku left the child to a sitter, those would remain near the sitter rather than following the Tenth Lieutenant, that alone stood to reason that the child was their mark. But what were their intentions? Observations or something else. For the time being the Third Captain refrained from making a move, he just sat back and watched the watchers...

"It's not my place to tell you how to parent... but it's better done over there rather than from my balcony." Tōsen stated dryly. He wasn't so dull to not realize Ichimaru's frequent visits had little to do with joint operations between divisions and was more due to the proximity of his Division and the location of the Tenth Lieutenant and her child.
In truth teaming up the past few months had benefits for both of their squads which was beginning to show results, but it hardly called for daily visits between captains.

"But the view here is so nice" Gin replied with mild sarcasm, having been found out... though at the moment he wasn't exactly hiding his intentions.
"Anyway, there seems to be a few ants crawling around... are they Captain Aizen's?"