On the Job Stress

"Technically it wasn't on fire," he said.

"Of course it wasn't on fire! You completely blew it up!"

Lanre grimaced at the wave of stressed anger the newly minted duke sent his way and rubbed his temple, trying to ease an ache setting up behind his left eye. "Come on, Samuel," he said. "I've already apologized and agreed to send as many masons as I can spare to help with repairs. What else do you want me to do?"

He stretched his neck from one side to the other before returning his full attention to the other man. Samuel's jaw was tight, and he was turning an alarming shade of puce.

"How was I supposed to know my insane uncle had redeveloped gunpowder?" Lanre asked. "Or that he was crazy enough to store cases of it in the towers?"

"I don't know, Aldeshara being shot out of the sky, maybe?"

Lanre could almost feel his blood pressure spike before the steadying wash of Maya reinforcing his mental shields rolled over him. He crossed his arms to try and quell his hands shaking as he reminded himself the other man was only a week into rule. Sending a burst of gratitude to his wife along their bond, Lanre glared at Samuel.

"You need to remember your manners, Duke," he chided. "I understand the pressures you are under, but it is no excuse for behaving like a child."

Samuel went even more rigid, but his color began to fade to normal. His expression relaxed, and he allowed his head to drop forward. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"If you double-check your reports, you will find Brigton and I attacked the northwest tower before the first shot was fired," Lanre continued. "It was an unlucky coincidence Ralic had a cannon installed there." He paused. "Or lucky we struck before it was prepared, depending on how you look at it. Can you imagine the carnage two of those things would have caused the Yekaran contingent?"

Samuel's head jerked up, and he paled. Lanre caught a shock of horror from the other man.

"I've asked much of you in the past week, Duke Bane," Lanre said. He offered a sympathetic smile. "I apologize for the condition in which you found Tembar, and as stated before, you will have the full support of Reiont as you rebuild."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Samuel smoothed his clothes and nodded.

Lanre regarded the other man with the first genuine grin he'd worn all day when Samuel straightened. "A word of advice," he offered.

Samuel nodded.

"Find a competent assistant, at least until Chantal finishes her training," Lanre said. "Grandfather can't say enough about how much you helped him for so many years, but assisting is a far cry from bearing the weight of rule alone."