Behind the mirror

It had been almost a year since what happened at the St. George's Academy. I was now 14, and so were Julian and Florence. Laura was 12. Much to our disappointment,  we never heard from the twins again.

I put on my clothes, grabbed my books, and rushed out of the house. All schools other than St. George's Academy in the State were single-gendered schools, mine happened to be an all-girls school. Today was the first day of the transfer program, so I certainly didn't want to be late. Much to my annoyance, Oliver had forced me to wear a corset. I wore no stockings, and that wasn't considered proper, but at the moment, I could care no less. Oliver begged me over and over again to wear our great-great-grandmother's blue floral gown, which has been handed down generation after generation as a family heirloom. However, not only did I refuse to wear it, but I also shoved it onto Oliver's face and told him to wear it instead. I felt quite proud at that moment. Oliver's face turned scarlet, and the conversation didn't continue. So, here I was, wearing a blue shirt, brown trousers, and black boots, on my noble steed, which was Oliver's, galloping to school. I couldn't possibly wait to be chauffeured by our family's cab, so naturally, I had to borrow the horse, or well steal my brother's horse. The horse I was riding was a stallion by the name of "Andreas". The previous year, our parents felt there was a dire need to buy a horse for Oliver. A boy his age, should know how to, at least, ride a horse. But of course, with Oliver's wonderful skills at horse riding, I was very sure Oliver would die in an accident before he could even learn how to properly ride the horse. Our parents, however, were hell-bent on teaching Oliver how to ride a horse. After a strenuous course of 8 months, he could finally ride a horse, simply ride without falling. And that was a great achievement. But of course, after all the injuries that Oliver got because of "Andreas", he rarely rode him again, unless our parents forced him to do so. I always had a thing for taming animals; so, "Andreas" was under my command in a few weeks after his arrival. And my horse-riding skills were far better than Oliver's, so, I never had a problem with him.

I kept "Andreas" in the school's stable and rushed into the building. The moment I entered the building, the bell rang, like thunder from the sky. I could hear the hustle and bustle of the assembly from here.

I raged through the corridors; I couldn't possibly afford to be late for such an event! I don't know why, but the corridors were suddenly feeling longer. I go around one bend, and I am faced by another corridor, like a maze of endless paths. At last, this maze came to an end, but lo! Where was the hall? Instead, in front of me stood a mirror. It was a rather pretty thing. Its frame was of sparkling pure gold and was adorned by small black flowers and pretty little skulls. The glass, despite looking old, bore not a single scratch on it. Slowly, I walked towards the glass. Suddenly a figure appeared in the mirror! It was a beautiful lady, with tanned skin, long wavy brown hair, and calm hazel eyes. She adorned a grey gown, a skull pendant with a golden chain, and a flower hairpin and had a sanguine smile on her face.

"Hello, Charles!" exclaimed the lady, with a calm but excited tone.

I was rather surprised by this lady's friendly behavior like she had known me for ages.

Out of curiosity, I asked, "Who're you?"

"That you needn't know. What you should know is that you're selected!"

I was rather confused, "Selected? For what?"

"What d'you suppose? What about you find it out for yourself?"

The hand of the lady shot out of the mirror and sucked me in.

Everything went dark, and when I opened my eyes, I wasn't in the school corridor. I looked around where I was standing. It was a huge meadow, but there wasn't any grass, just black flowers and little cerulean skulls. It was a rough walk, with all these little skulls underneath me, like pebbles and gravel on a country road. Suddenly a soft melody hit my ears. It was Symphony 40 in G minor, K. 550! I looked around there wasn't anybody, but my eyes noticed a beautiful black, ornamented with golden designs, huge and antique, piano. It was far, but when I concentrated on it, I realized it was playing itself. Suddenly, another sound came to my ears. The shrieking of folks. It was almost drowned by the melodious sound of the piano, but it was there. The piano picked up pace, going through Molta Allegro at twice the original speed. The melodious sound now had the fire of revenge. And with the last note, the first movement had a dramatic finish. I walked towards it, calmly. And slowly touched the keys, the keys played themselves in excitement. I slowly drew the chair towards the piano and seated myself on it.