epilogue | forever

August 28, 2003
Seven years later ...

Aimee Apparated a few miles away from the Burrow. The sky was dripping in a hazy shade of coral rose as she made her way down the country lanes, breathing in the sweet, summer air. Over the years, Aimee had been a frequent visitor to the Weasley family home, but this time was different.

This time, it was for a wedding.

Down the country path, wild roses swayed to the gentle breeze as Aimee revelled in the last days of summer, losing herself in the tranquillity that was only shattered by a distinct crack sound coming from behind her.

She turned, a delighted laugh tumbling from her lips as she spotted Lee, his dreadlocks artfully swept back into a messy bun at the nape of his neck. She dropped her bags to throw her arms around him, which he returned.

'Distance sure makes the heart grow fonder, lovergirl,' he remarked as she stepped back.

Aimee grinned. Judging by his commentary she'd heard on the Wizarding Wireless Network, he hadn't matured much since high school; still, she couldn't have been happier to see one of her old friends as they continued up the winding path that led them to the Burrow.

'You know, everyone in my office just calls me Aimee Fischer. You could try that, you know.'

'And miss the way your eyes sparkle when you're annoyed? Never.' Lee grinned. 'So, lovergirl. How are things with you?'

Things with Aimee were good; for one thing, her parents had reached out to her soon after her Hogwarts graduation, and over the last five years, it had been clear how hard they'd been trying. Nothing could fix the lost time, or the mellatic sting that had bloodied her teenage years, but some sort of relationship had merged between the three of them, a mutual agreement. Aimee could stand in her childhood home without feeling hollow.

After graduation, her and Angelina's dreams of being in an all-witch band hand dissipated in the air with the rosy haze of a sunset. Instead, the two of them had become the co-founders of the Worldwide Witch Association, providing security services for witches around the world.

And Cedric. Things were just as perfect since the moment she'd fallen in love with him all those years ago, underneath the spectacle of silk and snowflakes and Firewhisky-spiked punch. She smiled softly.

'Things are good,' she told him. 'And you? Excited to be a groomsman?'

'Can't wait. Especially since I hear a certain charming blonde has made the guest list.'

Aimee rolled her eyes. 'Fleur's happily married - you're not allowed to flirt with her.'

Lee grumbled but he didn't put up a fight. 'Where's groomsmen number two?'

'Cedric's been in Romania for the last two weeks with St. Mungos, helping with the research on Dragon Pox.' Aimee allowed herself a small smile. She'd been missing him recently, but when it all came down to it, she was proud of him, of his sunflower-golden heart, always looking to help people. 'He'll meet us at the Burrow tonight.'

They were silent for a little while as they continued down the road. The sky was blushing in breathtaking strokes of red and blue, kissing the maples with dappled lips.

'I can't believe Fred and Angie are getting married,' she finally mused. She smiled as she recalled seven years of petty jealousy and intoxicated kisses and snide remarks that had eventually led up to this. A wedding.

Lee nodded. 'I know, I'd never have guessed they'd be the first of our group ...'

'Mm,' Aimee hummed, knowing what was coming.