The Sandy City

A portal opens in an alley in Sand City and they emerge. Both Red and Aliz are wearing a cloak. "Remind me why I have to wear this thing," she complains.

"Our cybernetic limbs may not attract much back home, but here it'll definitely bring unwanted attention."

"Speak for yourself," she says, making a remark towards his cyborg body.

They walk out into an open space. Aliz takes in the surrounding spectacle. Buildings made of sandstone and rustic metal. She looks up to see a giant steam powered clock tower with a large elevated railway spanning across the neighbourhood. "This place is incredible."

"Spend a week here. You will find you'll have a different opinion."

"Is it really that bad?"

"Compared to the east, no, but still."

Red walks towards the market in the vicinity. Aliz follows close.

#

Red and Aliz walk up to a merchant who is selling cogs. Aliz looks at the pile of metal rings, unsure why he is selling them.

"Ah yes, take a look at my wares. Anything in particular you're wanting to procure?" the dishevelled man asks. She looks at him, inspecting his attire. He has a goggle over one eye while the other eye is lazy. His top hat is damaged to the point it's barely hanging together and his waistcoat is mudder and ripped.

"Ehh, no thank you."

Red then asks, "Actually, we were wondering if you could help us?"

The man leans down to see under Red's hood as he doesn't want anyone to see his cybernetic face. He turns a bit away.

Aliz then interjects to take the attention off of him. "It's our friend. He's gone missing."

"Missing? Well, I'm just a cog merchant. I haven't seen anything. If your friend is missing, I'd take it to the authorities. They'll surely be able to help."

Red then asks, "What do you know about North Coast Consolidated?"

"North Coast – Are you mad? Don't be bringing that stuff here. Not at my stall."

"So you know."

"Yes, but please keep it down. Many here know about them. They are a plague. Ever since they started to embed themselves inside the Republic, they have been nothing but trouble. People going missing, random fires, you name it."

"Why are they kidnapping people?"

"Some say it's sex trafficking. Others say experiments. At the end of the day, it's all business to them. They get their profits and the Republic gets funded with their blood money."

"They're working together?"

"Well, it's a consolidation. I wager they want to take over the council. Control the city."

"Do you really think that's possible?"

"Oh yes. The Republic doesn't have a choice in the matter. If they don't work with them, the NCC will side with the east and that scares me. It's all a means to end this war."

Aliz then asks, "I know you're scared, but our friend and my daughter have been taken by them. If you have a heart, you'd point us in the direction to where we might get more information."

The man thinks for a few seconds. "Alright, fine. But please do not return. I can't have them coming after me next. Go to my cousin's house. It's not too far from here, a couple levels down. His house is opposite the Aster Church. His name is Marrek."