1. A Lady's Maid

Sally Mayes was an odd case to say the least. She could not recall much before her (estimated) ninth birthday. She came to find Mrs. Mayes on a road not far off from London at eight years old. She was delirious with fever, and luckily the kind housekeeper took her in. Mrs. Mayes had no children of her own yet and took pity on the child. When Sally came to, she could not remember almost anything, not even her own name. She had three distinct memories, a laughing boy's face, a smiling woman, and a blond hand-sewn doll named Sally. Because she knew nothing else of her life, she took the doll's name, and later was given her surrogate mother's last name. Though she rarely saw Mr. Mayes the two were very fond of each other as well and she became part of a family once more.

Sally was given a job in the household Mrs. Mayes helped run, the Hampton townhouse. She started as a scullery maid, but quickly climbed the ranks when Mrs. Mayes discovered she had some education, though she did not remember how she got it, many skills, and was a quick learner. She went up to a house maid and now served as a lady's maid for the soon-to-be-married Miss Hampton. Miss Hampton was a year older than Sally, who was 18, and had found a playmate in her when they were younger. Now, she was Miss Hampton's confidant and friend, which is what made her an excellent candidate to be her lady's maid, and expected to go with her and continue serving her when she was married. She might also help with future children. Shortly after Sally had been taken in, Mrs. Mayes had a son, Reginald, then a daughter, Grace, and then two more daughters, Eliza and Mary, this time twins. Sally was now excellent at minding children. Another way in which she made an excellent candidate to continue with Miss Hampton.

"Miss Hampton, are you very excited for your wedding or absolutely dreading it?" Sally asked with a teasing sparkle in her eye as she pinned up her mistress' hair.

"I know it is not necessarily a love match for me, but Mr. Bexley seems to care for me deeply and with time I can see myself growing very fond of him, even if I do not love him. At least he is not as old as Lord Dobbs." She allowed herself a chuckle at her own joke.

"For that we can be grateful, but Miss Hampton, you are avoiding the question."

"You are a keen observer, Sally. In truth, I am not sure even I entirely know how I feel. A small part of both I suppose. And you know I told you that you may call me Abigail if we are out of earshot. I do not care how my father thinks I should behave with servants. We grew up together, it should not be out of the bounds of propriety."

"As you wish Miss... Abigail," Sally said with a smile. "You know I wish you the very best and care for you deeply.

"I care for you too, Sally. I do not wish to think what I would do without you," Abigail Hampton said warmly.

Sally beamed back at her. Gesturing to the mirror, Sally broke the silence and asked, "How do you feel, Miss Abigail, soon-to-be Mrs. Bexley?"

"You have outdone yourself Sally. I will be the most stunning creature in the room," Abigail said in hushed tones. She paused, and then remarked, "And remember to you, I will always be simply Abigail."

"You have picked up my stubborn ways, I am afraid. How about a compromise?"

"What do you suggest?"

"You will be Miss Abigail out of hearing until we leave for Cherry Grove. Then, only when I am sure we are alone, you may be Abigail once more."

"I suppose that will have to do," Abigail relented.

"Very well, now may I escort you to the carriage and into the protection of Mr. Mayes, most stunning creature?" Sally asked with a jesting twinkle in her eye.

Abigail giggled and flushed slightly, "You may."