Chapter 3

Location: Owens Residence.

      “I thought we were going to Hopper’s Cabin,” Will said from the back seat of Dustin’s car.

     “We are,” Dustin pulled into the driveway of Owens’ house. “I just need to make a pit stop first.”

     It was Monday afternoon, three days after the group had their secret meeting in Mike’s basement. Dustin, Lucas, Will, Mike, and El spent the workday researching the cities listed on the flash drive. They searched through all the lab files and all the classified government files they had access to but came up empty. They even went down to the basement archives on their lunch breaks and found nothing pertaining to their search. It appeared every trace of information on the cities had been erased from the lab and in the computer system. At the end of the day, they all piled into Dustin’s car to meet up with the rest of their friends at Hopper’s cabin. However, Dustin decided to take a little detour.

     “What are we doing here?” asked El.

     “I have a few more questions for Owens,” Dustin replied.

     “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” asked Mike.

     “That Owens has the missing files?” Dustin parked the car and turned off the ignition.

     “Or that he knows where they are?” Lucas added.

     “It makes sense,” Will remarked. “If these cities are, in fact, connected to the Upside Down, he wouldn’t want that information to fall into the wrong hands.”

     “Exactly,” Dustin commented.

     He loved it when he and his friends were on the same page. That was what made them such a great team.

     “Well, then,” Lucas unbuckled his seatbelt. “What are we waiting for? Let’s go ask him.”

     Just then, Dustin’s phone started ringing.

     “Shit, it’s Suzie,” he said. “I’ve got to answer this. Give me a sec.” Dustin answered the phone, which automatically connected to his car’s speaker system. “Hey, Suzie-Poo. What’s up?”

     “Hi, Dusty-Bun,” Suzie’s voice filled the car. “I got your text, and I picked up the kids. I’m just calling to make sure everything is alright.”

     “Oh, yea,” Dustin thought of a lie. “I’ve got a meeting, and it may run late, but I should be home by dinner.”

     “Yea, okay,” came Eddie’s voice in the background, filled with sarcasm. “Mom, I’m pretty sure he’s bailing on us, so he doesn’t have to come to dinner with us at Grandma’s.”

     Dustin scowled at his son’s sarcastic demeanor. “Hey, Eddie. When I get home tonight, remind me that we still need to discuss how you’re going to pay off that ticket.”

     “Ticket?” Suzie’s voice became stern. “What ticket?”

     “I…I don’t what you’re talking about,” Eddie stammered. “Whatever Chief Harrington told you is a lie!”

     “I never said anything about Chief Harrington,” Dustin was enjoying busting his son's sorry ass. He turned to his friends. “Did you guys hear me say anything about Chief Harrington?”

     “No!” His friends shook their heads, joining in on the game. “Of course not!”

     “WHAT…TICKET??” Suzie raised her voice.