Chapter 26 - A Surprise

The professional's tone continues to be gentle and encouraging, as he speaks to the hunter. "Relax now, Logan," he states, with a reassuring and understanding gesture. "Growing frustrated over this task won't aid in expediting the process." I find myself agreeing with his statement yet I stand quietly in the corner of the room, observing the silver-haired male struggle to write down simple words.

I feel slight tension in the air as Logan's hand trembles, his fingers barely maintaining their grip on the pen. His nerves still aren't entirely under his control and it seems like his patience is running thin. "Well, why don't we take a quick break?", the physiatrist suggests as the plastic pen body slips from the hunter's grasp and drops onto the ground.

"And what good would that do?", the hunter grumbles a remark, and I try to keep a neutral composure, though I can feel myself growing slightly concerned. "The only way to recover the previous state is a large amount of exercise!"

"But overstraining yourself will just tire your muscles and nerves, not improve their condition.", the male points out and Logan scoffs in response as he once again picks up the pen from the ground, before resuming his writing task.

"Haven't I been given enough breaks? We only meet on alternate days!", he snaps. His tone indicates a growing frustration with the lack of results and a feeling of desperation that's beginning to consume him. "I've been attending these for over a month and a half! And yet I can't even properly hold a pen! I have commissions to take! Don't you understand that my score has become stagnant??"

At his outburst, I quickly step forth, coming into his line of sight. With a soothing and concerned tone, I offer, "I can complete some commissions for us, Logan. I have offered time after time."

"I'm not risking it!", his eyes dart to me and I clench my jaws at the intensity impossible to ignore in those leaden-blue orbs. "Partners are meant to have each other's backs. What if you slip up, and I'm not there to save you?!" Sighing, I lower my head in defeat.

"If it makes you feel any better—", the other male interjects, "—compared to all the cases I've seen and attended, your recovery rate is the pinnacle thus far. I'm confident you'll be handling weapons admirably soon."

Although that visibly fails to ensure Logan, rather than continuing to argue, the hunter just decides to give in, probably realizing that further arguing would be pointless.

The moment the doors of my car close, my partner drops his head on my shoulder, seeking emotional comfort. I gaze down at the hunter, noticing how deeply agitated he is by the recent events, and my fingers travel up to his face, caressing his cheek. The male emits a soft hum at the contact.

"Tired?", I ask as I press my face to his head. Logan hums again, this time as a response to my query. "Well, it's the weekend now. You can rest right up until your Monday session."

"I'm contemplating cutting upon these sessions and increasing the training slots.", he suddenly reveals and I knit my brows. Sensing my disapproval, the male lifts his head off my shoulder to meet my gaze, "Tell me, do you truly believe these are assisting me?"

My eyes instantly flicker to his right hand, which rests on his thigh. "It doesn't display constant tremors anymore.", I point out and watch as he curls his fingers into a fist, which in turn causes it to shake almost violently. The tremors within his hand increase in amplitude when he tightens it.

I quickly cover it with my hand and his digits unfurl to intertwine with mine. With my touch providing some comfort, the hunter explains, "If I have to practice—", his thumb strokes my skin, "—I'd rather do it with a gun than with a pen and paper."

"There are cameras in the training rooms. They observe us all the time.", I remind him, "They will definitely object if you experiment with a gun like that."