CHAPTER 7

The Chieftain known as Secsnen had a son called Benignus, who from an early age, had a very musical voice. He was also a boy who had a deep spiritual side.
Because of his son's interest in music, Secsnen often had musical evenings. The music could be quite elaborate. Instruments of the time included the harp and the tabor, the timpan, the oboe or flute, hornpipes and bagpipes, the fiddle, clarinets, trumpets and castanets. And singing, of course.
Benen liked to sing hymns. Music that sang of the heavens.
His family believed in Bardic training, awakening the inner self in order to compose better poetry, storytelling or music composition.
His Chieftain father, Secsnen, had upon being baptised by Patrick allowed Benignus to follow a holy path and to accompany the missionary when he left. It was a scene very like that of Thomas in the bible, although there was no doubt within Benignus.
Whenever Paddy celebrated mass, the musical voice of Benignus could be heard, so much so that he eventually became known as Patrick's psalm singer. It was known also that he would be Patrick's successor, Paddy having been foretold in a dream. He was in Patrick's company when they left Tara. He was a witness firsthand to Patrick's miracles. He was the youngest of Patrick's brethren.
He knew one day he would be called upon to take up the reins. Mochta had told him of his vision concerning Colmcille and his heart had leaped within him.

*

Mochta.
The one thing Mochta shared with Paddy, besides their friendship and obvious spirituality, was the fact that he too was from Great Britain.
He had been brought to Ireland as a small boy, along with his parents, by a druid named Hoam. The druid settled in Louth, a county associated with the Celtic god Lugh.
Especially learned in sacred scripture, he had undergone religious training in Rome, and had been dispatched back to Ireland by the Pope, with twelve companions. On his return he founded a monastery at Cill Mhor, or Kilmore, in County Antrim, and when he had it up and running, he returned to Louth. In Louth, he began working on annals, which eventually became the Book of the Monks.
He was something of a mystic, having prophesied the coming of the great Irish saint Colmcille.
Mochta followed the missionary path of Patrick with great zeal. He was also in the company of the great man upon their departure from Tara. He was the youngest of Patrick's brethren.

*

Saint Ronan.
Although not a follower of Patrick as such, he was in fact a half-brother and found himself facing justice at Quimper at the court of Gradlon the Great. Accused by a jealous woman of sorcery and an ability to transform into a wolf, Ronan is put to the test.
Gradlon's fierce dogs, a duo, are set on Ronan. Ronan managed to pacify both dogs which greatly impressed Gradlon, who knew his dogs.
Roman had been greatly influenced by the work of Patrick and his own work attempted to mirror the work of Patrick.
All throughout the Christian world there were men and women looking to the life of the Irish apostle as a way to live their own lives.

*

AUTHOR'S NOTE: UPDATES SHORTLYStart writing your story