Chapter 6 - Reminders

The days carried on and, despite Lyra's fears and worries, the others seemed to accept her. Snotlout no longer grumbled and now knew his show of arrogance did not impress Lyra in the least. The twins still teased, but they were performing less dangerous pranks around her. Astrid actually smiled at her now and then; she would even ask Lyra for help on occasion. Fishlegs was less skeptical than any of the others, so he acted the same. Hiccup hadn't changed much, but he was including Lyra more and more as they traveled or defended the Edge. Her skills were useful to their cause, and Lyra relished the feeling. She was still separate from "the gang", and she continued to avoid sharing too much, but the others recognized her as an accomplished rider.

Lyra was sorting through material that had been brought out of the stables. She was alone, and boxes surrounded her like a protective wall, stacked and open at random. Another document, another scrap of paper, another dusty weapon. Lyra unraveled yet another piece of paper, then stopped to stare for a moment. It was clearly Hiccup's writing and scribbles, mapping out an area they had long since explored every inch of. Still, Lyra smiled, appreciating the attention to detail crucial to discovering more of the archipelago. She set it aside with more of his work, then heard running footsteps. Hiccup had nearly reached her, and his face lit up in alarm.

"Look out! Behind you!"

Lyra turned her head, but she could see nothing. Standing up, Lyra gave Hiccup a confused look.

"Up! Look up!" Hiccup explained further, pointing.

Lyra looked, and she gasped in disbelief. Astrid was flying back on Stormfly, but Stormfly was flapping madly, a bit of net trailing behind her. Astrid looked so worn, Lyra feared she might pass out. Despite Astrid's gentle coaxing, she slumped in weariness and winced in pain. Lyra barely had time to shove the boxes aside to stride away. Stormfly swerved, and Lyra was already near the edge of the platform. She slid without thinking of the consequences, and as soon as realization hit, she only had time to grab the edge of the platform, swinging sideways as a box tumbled over the edge. Grunting and gasping for breath, Lyra didn't look down. Fortunately, Hiccup was there to help her up. As soon as he did, Lyra hurried over to where Astrid crouched, half-leaning against Stormfly for support. She was badly hurt, but her eyes were still fiery and alive, which Lyra took as a good sign. It was impossible to tell whether she had broken anything, but her arms bore bloody scratches and gashes, and many of them looked to be inflicted by arrows. Hiccup snatched up her arms to observe them closely, so Lyra asked the question hanging in the air.

"What happened?"

"Viggo," Astrid practically seethed. "He wasn't that far. He was disturbing a nearby island, capturing dragons there. I shouldn't have tried anything but –"

"It's ok, I know you," Hiccup remarked, and Lyra put on a face and folded her hands.

"Astrid's not wrong, though. I hate to admit it, and I know you're a strong warrior, but this is beyond any of us... alone. You could have died."

Lyra's face was one of complete seriousness and pain. Astrid didn't even argue with her, or maybe she was in too much pain to think of a defensive remark.

"He can't –" Hiccup started.

"Don't mistake his slyness and caution for weakness. He wants his enemies to think that way. He is skilled, in more ways than one, and far from an amateur fighter. Even after time spent interacting with him, you still don't know everything. He can burn down villages, and he'll burn them down with no remorse. Hiccup –"

"I know, and you're right," Hiccup answered, pulling Astrid to her feet.

"Have Fishlegs heal you up; he knows where the bandages are," Hiccup said, waiting until she nodded before dragging the broken net off of Stormfly.