Chapter 5: Guilt and Empty Promises

Louis stared at William in shocked, his mouth was slightly open. He was not expecting to see his brother's arm covered in blood, dripping down the sink.

"Brother.." Louis whispered as William saw his little brother's eyes stared to get teary. Without saying anything, Louis went to get first aid kit. William turned off the stove, abandoning the tea he had previously wanted to brew.

As Louis returned, he quickly walked over to William and wrapped the bloodied arm with bandages, preventing infections to the wound.

After finishing bandaging the wound,Louis sniffed as he looked at William. William looked away as he held his breath, he was scared about what his brother would think.

"Why.." Louis asked, his voice broke when he asked. Willam sighed as he finally looked at Louis whose gazed were still on the bandaged arm. "I'm sorry.." William apologized as he continued talking.

"I.. made a promise to Sherlock back in Brooklyn to never harm myself again after he found me passed out with blood all over arms but.." William choked on his sobbed as he pulled his hand away from Louis.

"He's gone, and I thought there's no point in me keeping the promise anymore" "well then continue the promise for me and Albert" Louis looked at William as he sighed.

"If I'm being really honest Louis.. I don't think I am capable of doing it—" "at least try!" Louis suddenly yelled at William as tears rolled down his face. William was shocked as he looked at Louis who was crying.

"I can't stand seeing you like this again! The first time you were like this—I couldn't say anything and I almost lost you! I don't want.." Louis choked on his words as he continued. "I don't want to lose you again.. please brother, please!" William's gaze softened as he brought Louis hands in his.

"I will try Louis, I promise" Louis nodded as they both sat there for a while until they decided to retreat back into their room.
——————————

Upon being in his own room again, William can't help but feel the guilty. He thinks-No. He knows that he wouldn't be able to keep his promise with Louis, it's not like he didn't want you to but his mind had been filled with negative thoughts again and he doesn't know how to get rid of it, nothing seems to work anyway.

Well.. I guess there's something that could keep me busy.

William got up as he went to retrieve the letters he unwrapped earlier which were written by the detective which didn't make it to the Moriarty's mansion based on William's deduction.

There were around 8-12 letters, the exact amount to the letters William sent to Sherlock so initially, William assumed that these must be the letters Sherlock wrote in response to those letters William sent.

William eyes fell upon another bundle of letter, he read the sender and it was him, William James Moriaty but of course, since he was dead to the world he couldn't just write letters using the name "William" so he decided to use his real name instead, Sherlock should know it was him since he had revealed his real name with Sherlock too. William thought at that time.

"Now how should I read this.." William thought as he decided to read his own letter first and then the response to the letter he would be finished reading.

Untying the scarlet ribbon, William shuffled the letter until his hand reached the first letter he had written to Sherlock since his trip to New York.

August 12th 18xx. It read. This should be the first one. William opened the envelope as he started to read his own letter again.

To my dearest detective,

Sherly, it has been a day into your mission and as stupid as this may come across as but, I hate to admit that I had missed you already and it is all your fault.

I just want to know how you are. Did you eat properly? Do you have a place to stay or are the detectives still treating you nicely? I hope you are not causing too much trouble for Billy, if you both came back and Billy complained about you pestering him, I will gladly punish you.. well I guess you wouldn't mind it, would you?

William slightly smirked as he deducted what could happened had Sherlock came home, but then he frowned.

I won't say anything else, have a safe trip, honey.

Love,
Your Liam

William sighed as he mentally prepared for the detective's respond to this letter. With trembling hands, he shuffled through the letter until he found one addressed to him followed by a few days.

August 16th 18xx, to ——— ———

William knew that Sherlock would know it was hi despite using another name, his birth name to be exact.

To my favourite person ever,

Liam, it had only been a few days and you have already missed me. I take all the blame, sweetheart (I actually missed you too I think I'm going insane, these police are actually so slow to comprehend what I say).

But yes, my dear, I am eating well and I have a place to settle in but my sleeping schedule.. let us not talk about that. I also planned on not bothering Billy but since I will be getting punished by a sexy math professor whose eye is red and has the most amazing looking face ever with soft blond hair and the softest porcelain skin, I would be delighted (you better prepare yourself for it, my dear)

Blushing, William smiled as he read the hidden messages in between those sentences. I longed for your touch, Sherly.

But all of that aside, I hope you are taking of yourself my love.

Hoping to see you soon,
Love,
Sherly

After he finished reading the letter, he took a deep breath shakily to stopped from crying again. He decided that a letter a day would be better for him.

"Oh Sherly.. what would I do without you"