Concealment

Bridgehead was accelerating in its growth thanks to the acquisition of Hell's Gate and its nearby mines. The setback of losing the HEM-OA was a heavy blow, but the optimistic overseers of humanity pushed onward. Like their Roman predecessors, they sought to expand their territory by building forts. The first of these was christened Fort Styx, named after the river it was built next to. Though antiquated in appearance, the frugal conquerors preferred rapid growth over presentation, and this was achieved by utilizing local materials. Umberwood logs were favoured for their incredible sturdiness, and their tips were sharpened to deadly points to discourage the determined thanators.

Taking up fifteen acres of land, the fort served as a waypoint for military craft and housed an impressive arsenal. Conveniently, it was also near the Iknimaya Valley, and the recombinants yet to fledge resided inside its walls until they earned their wings. The last clutch was Warren, Mansk, Walker, Fike and Zhâng. Inconveniently, the fort also had few amenities, so the Deja Blus, once again, exercised their creativity in keeping themselves occupied. Warren took a special interest in drilling Fike, who didn't appreciate the sudden attention.

"C'mon, city slicker. Keep up! You call yourself tough? In my high school team, the only thing you'd be good for is the football," he ragged as they lapped around the interior.

Fike wiped his sweating brow. "I am keeping up, crazy-ass! Why are you picking on me, anyway?"

"You're giving me Johnny vibes. Now, double time! I'll make a pro out of you yet." With another bellow, the drill sergeant forced his victim onward.

Meanwhile, high above the ongoing shenanigans, Zhâng was perched on a horizontal rail holding up the palisade. With his assault rifle in hand, he listlessly surveyed the quiet jungles.

"Hey, Zhâng," Mansk called up. "Why so blue?"

Everyone within earshot groaned.

"Really, Sasha? Really?" Walker complained. "If we hadn't already heard that a million times."

The guilty man shrugged. "Is the joke not funny anymore? I still chuckle." Walker was unimpressed, as per usual. Sasha lent his brother another glance. "He carries a frown all day. Why?"

"Why else? He misses CJ."

"Oh, is that it." The Russian Blue gave his condolences. "Yes. Separation is tough. I miss my buddy, Samson."

"Yeah, about that. When did you two become a thing?"

He put an arm around her shoulder. "Jealous, Bridgie? Do not worry. My heart is big enough for the both of you."

"I don't like sharing," she quipped before shoving him aside.

"You should. It's a virtue. Isn't that what Buddha teaches?"

"Don't be cute with me. Wait, did you actually read the book I gave you?"

"Every word."

Bridgette tried to hide her smile.

"Samson did too."

"Okay, you ruined it."

"Aww, Petunia." Mansk jogged in her wake.

The forlorn Zhâng observed the pair, oblivious that he was captured within the spying lenses of a nearby enemy.

Secreted in the trees, not far from the fort, hid Sully with a small band. |"Camp has five recoms and thirty armed men."|

|"That camp will be another thorn in our side if we let it grow."|

|"I know, Äi'ut. Because of these recoms, there's no opening for an attack. They are much tougher to kill."|