Part 1

Just got off the train for Wellston from the airport. I'd like to tell you that the ride was comfortable, but it wasn't. Soon as I touched down, I could feel the stench of this place. The sounds of the baren airport in this abandoned town, what an introduction. The exits are all decrepit and unmanned, God knows what people could do in such a place if they cared to. But they wouldn't. Only thing they care about is the train. This sacred pilgrimage, crossing the river styx back into the world of the living. But they can't; the train is only for Wellston students.

I don't like the train either. It's too clean, and no less empty. I'm sure at the beginning of the school year this vessel is crowded with young faces, ecstatic for their future. Low-tiers who finally got the chance to move up in the world, for all the good that would do them. But of course, coming in the middle of the year as I am, I'm the only soul engaging in that fantasy. I don't know, maybe I'm just pessimistic. Maybe, maybe this'll be different.

I'm not one of them, mind. Or, maybe I am. Did it matter? That's what I mean, does it matter? Because I don't think it should. Well whatever, can't keep the devil waiting.

"Taxi!"

An orange cab pulls up by my side, came out of nowhere far as I could tell, and popped its door open. I step inside without much hesitation, as I was eyeing up my driver.

"Bit late to be out, ain't it kid?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Coming home from a party or something?"

"No, I'm new in town."

He pulls out of the curb and starts driving.

"So you're going to Wellston Private High, then."

"Yeah."

They say big cities are all the same, and maybe they are, but I can't help but be taken aback by the lights. That was my favourite part of Miami, the lights along the coast. Except instead of neon and sand there was, less. So much less, of everything but road. Guess I'd been living somewhere weird this whole time, you never know until you see the other side I guess.

"Bit late to start school isn't it?"

"I guess so."

"Going to need to work hard to catch up, ey kid? Ah, school like that, it'll be worth it."

"So they tell me."

Short drive, already here. I'm surprised I had to drive at all really, with how important this school is I'd expect a stop right in front of it.

"Alright, here we are."

"Mhm. What do I owe you?"

"Ah, forget it kid, buy a girl something nice instead." nice guy.

"Can't say I have a girl to spend on..." how could I?

"C'mon, you'll make me feel bad. Your first day here, this late, I was coming here anyway."

"Well, if you insist." I say before stepping out of the cab. "Thanks, seriously. I owe you."

"No you don't. Enjoy Wellston kid! I'll see you around!" he drives away into the night, his bright car standing out until it turns the corner. Well that didn't take too long.

I turn towards the school and I see a man coming my way. He had a very gentle demeanor, and yet I couldn't help but feel a sense of authority from him. How did he notice me?

"Hello there!"

"Uh, hi." Who is this guy?

"My name is Keene, I'm the head of security for Wellston Private High School. You must be Y/N, right? The new transfer student?"

Oh "yes, that's right. I was told to come to the school first thing?"

"Mhm. Come, the headmaster wants to see you." He's still here at this hour?

Keene leads me through the great gates, and I finally get a good look at Wellston. Mhm, all the money from the authorities shows. This isn't like Miami, school there was tattered and pieced together. Broken windows, crumbling bricks, that was a place held together with glue and love. It was old, Wellston, Wellston would never grow old. It was refined, clean, unchanging. Rigid.

"So how was your flight Y/N?" Keene asked as we walked through the unlight halls. Felt just like old times, being where I wasn't supposed to be.

"Oh, it was alright."

"Any trouble on the train?"

"No, it was quiet."

"Glad to hear it. Well, here we are." he opens a heavy wooden door, leading into the only room with lights on. An older man with green hair sits behind a desk, another with blue in a lab coat beside him.

"Good evening, Y/N, sorry for calling on you at this late hour. My name is Vaughn, headmaster of Wellston." he gives me a firm look, but one I can tell comes from compassion. I'm less sure about the other man.

"And who is he?" I say, pointing towards the man giving me a deathly glare.

"That is our school nurse, Darren, though most call him Doc."

"Hey." Doc forces out of himself, he is not as happy to see me as everyone else.

"Hello Doc, Headmaster Vaughn. I just want to say, I really am grateful to have been accepted into your great institution."

"You earned your place here, Y/N, but your gratitude is appreciated." Vaughn says, smiling.

"So, I was told you wanted to see me?"

"Yes. You see your information is well out of date, 3 years so in fact, for your attendance we must bring this up to the present. Normally I would not call upon a student at such an hour for something so trivial, however the events 3 years past means we must have this talk now."

Of course. I should've known it was going to that, only reasonable really, after everything. He doesn't have any malice, he isn't trying to dredge up those memories, he's just doing his job as any responsible headmaster would. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't do anything different. But I'm not. So this doesn't feel any better.

"Yeah."

"We are all of course aware of the tragedy that occurred then, our deepest condolences to you. 3 years might feel like a long time, but you should not feel as though you have to reenter school unless you have recovered mentally. So do not feel pressured when I ask, have you?"

"Thanks, Headmaster Vaughn. I do appreciate your concern." That's one word for it. "My father and I have, worked through things, I'm alright now."

Vaughn looks at me for a long time. They are all, none of them can say anything. Drilling holes into me with their looks, from all angles. Gauging my sincerity, pitying me, or are they judging me? I couldn't read Doc, he always looked like that, Keene was behind me, and Vaughn. Haven't gotten a look like Vaughn's in a long time. It's the kind of expression you can never hope to read, my old man's glare.

"I see. I am glad, then. Still, if you ever need time off of school, I assure you we will be more than understanding." Thank God.

"Thank you." Let's hope I won't hold you to that.

"As for the other thing we need address, what is your current ability level? Has it changed since then?" goddamn it.

Shit, well, I don't know what I was expecting. I guess this is supposed to be easier compared to the last one, everyone seems to be more relaxed about it. After all, this is standard procedure, to check up once in a while. But, to have to say it so soon after I promised...

"Right. Uhm, my ability level is..."