Chapter 22: Gally and I talk about my love life

Gally and I watched in amusement as Brenda ran over the guards with the bus. The guards who managed to jump out of the way chased after her.

There's no way they're gonna catch her, I thought while chuckling.

Gally and I fully hid ourselves behind the wall. We placed our masks back on and stood in an awkward silence.

"So, uh," Gally awkwardly whispered, "you and the Greenie, huh?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Yeah, got a problem, Eyebrows?"

He chuckled. "Nah, you two seem like you'd be good together. I feel like you and Newt would be pretty good, too."

My face heated up. "Why does everyone keep saying that? I'm dating Thomas, for shuck's sake! Newt is my best friend."

"Well what if he were to see you as more than that?"

I was shocked and confused. Why would Newt even wanna see me in that way? We were friends for what felt like ages. We had our highs and lows but still managed to power through it all. But I'd never thought about being in a romantic relationship with him.

"I-I...Don't know. I've never really thought about Newt considering us more than just best friends."

I remembered Newt's condition and scenarios that could happen to him while he was sick started swimming throughout my mind.

"Gally... You know Newt is-"

"Infected, yeah."

"H-How did you know?"

"The signs are obvious. Anyone with a shucking brain could figure it out. I've seen a Crank nearing the Gone and he's getting there."

My breathing hitched in my throat. I refused to acknowledge it, but Newt was becoming a Crank and every second that passed meant he was getting closer to the Gone.

"Gally...Please don't say things like that. Please. There might be a chance we can save him."

"Like what? A cure?"

"Maybe. And I'd take out entire populations if it means that Newt could survive the Flare."

"Then you're no different from WICKED, Y/N. You're no different from Teresa."

Hearing her name put a sickening feeling in my stomach and a smack of realization. He was right. If I thought like that then I wasn't any different from Teresa. She thought that way and got innocent lives killed.

And I was starting to think just like her.

"I'm sorry. You're right, Gal. I'm no better than her. I just need to figure out a way for him to stay with us. I've never known anyone like Newt and I care about him."

"More than the Greenie?"

"Why do you keep calling him that? Technically, Teresa's the Greenie, not Tom."

"You aren't denying it!"

"Gally, I love Thomas! He's literally my boyfriend-"

We were cut off when three guards came over to us. "Who's your boyfriend?" One of them asked.

"Uhhhhhhhhh- Him!" I pointed to Gally.

"What're you-" Gally caught on to what I was talking about.

"Oh! Yeah, yeah. I'm her boyfriend."

"Gross," Another replied.

"Anyway, Thomas is in the facility and he escaped with one of the subjects. We've also heard news that someone helped him escape as well. We gotta go arrest them."

"Alright, let's go, then." Yeah, no.

Gally and I walked behind and guards and he smacked me on the back of my head. "Great idea," He muttered.

Please vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it