XII. Awesome Solo

XIAO HAD HEARD OF ARMY VETERANS coming back from duty after losing a limb. She'd heard of the phantom limb phenomenon—which was not nearly as cool as it sounded. Sometimes, soldiers would feel the weight of their missing limb, try to walk or shake a hand and then remember. It was the same for Xiao as she stood in front of Percy Jackson's door.  

Unable to knock with the box in her grip, she had to resort to kicking the door. There was some muffled shouting on the other end. Finally, the door swung open, Percy's grinning face greeting her. "You brought it?"

"Of course." He let her inside as she scoffed, tightening her grip on the thin black box. "My mom's not here right now—she's really sorry about that, but she's got a date." He didn't sound too angry when he said it, which surprised her a bit. "Let's go to my room."

He opened the door, and her eyes were assaulted with blue walls, blankets, and carpet. It seemed freshly cleaned, everything in an orderly fashion. It kind of impressed her. "Last minute cleaning session?"

"Shut up," he retorted. "Now, c'mon. Let me see it."

Rolling her eyes, Xiao placed the black box on his bed. She pulled off the top and took the thin stick of metal from the foam. There was a button on the bare hilt. Percy clapped his hands as light rocketed upwards, bathing their faces in pink.

After all, Charlie Beckendorf had said, everyone needs a fail safe. You're like the Skywalkers already.

"That is so cool," Percy said. "Does it actually, like, cut through things?"

"According to Beckendorf." Xiao spun it, twirling it over her hand. "With my arm coming tomorrow, I figured it was the right time to celebrate."

She retracted the glowing blade, slipping the hilt into her belt.

"And by celebrating," Percy drawled, "does that mean watching Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith?"

Xiao considered the offer. She'd intended to just stop by to show him the 'lightsaber', maybe bother him for a bit, before leaving back to camp. She could go any time, however—Argus was getting donuts at the busiest place in the city and was just waiting for her call.

She sighed. "Very well."

As Percy grinned and Xiao followed him out to the living room, she wondered what decision had brought her to the moment she'd be watching star wars movies with Percy Jackson. Before, she tolerated him only because his head was fun to slither into. Now, she was driving an hour just to entertain him. She supposed (technically) watching two people die really brought people together.

Percy sat on the couch, his legs crossed with popcorn between them. Xiao leaned against the side of the couch, picking only the butteriest from her bowl. By far, the funniest things about the movies was the animation and dialogue.

"It's coarse and rough and irritating," Percy mocked, in time with Anakin's words about sand, "and it gets everywhere."

"He has a point, though," Xiao said.

Percy looked highly offended. "Are you telling me, a son of Poseidon, that you don't like the beach?"

"I suppose I am, yes," Xiao said.

A piece of popcorn hit her shoulder. Xiao looked over slowly, and Percy went white as she met his eyes.

"I can strangle you with only one good arm, you know."

"But you wouldn't."

Xiao raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, yeah, you would."