- chapter 7

"CAP? CAP?"

"Cap, can you hear us?!"

The team stand in the smoke-filled hallway and shout for him. Its been minutes since he ran out of sight and Judd knows they should go after him. He wants to. But whilst Owen is gone, he's in charge of protecting the rest of the team.

"Judd, what do we do?"

He looks around. They should leave, that should be the right call. But he isn't leaving without their captain and he bets no one else will either.

"Just give it a minute".

He takes a few small steps forward until he's as far forward as he can go. His eyes scan the smoke and try to see anything.

"CAP?" He shouts one more time.

Just as he turns and decides to evacuate the rets of the team, a voice comes through.

"I've got three, I need help".

None of the others wait for orders and run into the hallway until they find three people and Owen breathing heavy as he tries to get them out.

Each of them grab someone and carries them outside and Judd goes straight to Owen who's dragging a very burnt man.

"I don't know if he's breathing, visibility is too bad to tell".

They each grab part of him and drags him to the end of the hall where they can see somewhat better.

"We need to get out of here, Cap", Judd tells him.

With a nod, Owen starts telling people what to do and they start leaving.

"Marjan, you work the ladder, Paul, make sure everyone gets out".

"This guy ain't looking too good", Judd realises. "I think he's long gone, Cap".

The floor shakes again and they jump to their feet ready to leave.

"Wait".

Owen rummages through the mans pickets and finds a half melted licence.

"Frank Jones. We'll have to notify the family".

A loud bang sounds and the whole building shakes again.

"Another explosion from the ground floor", someone says over the radio. "Everyone evacuate, possible structure collapse".

They leave the body and walk as fast as possible to the window and climb down to the ladder. The cold air freezes the sweat on their necks instantly and the first breath of good air is almost too much.

The injured are rushed off to hospital and police herd people further from the building. Owen finds whoever's in charge and hands over the licence.

"Frank jones is deceased".

He finds another fire captain and asks how many are left.

"We evacuated the sixth floor and last I hear there are still seventeen people missing. But for all we know they could be in the car park safe".

"Make that sixteen", Owen mumbles as he remembers the charred body. "Hey, whats going on over there?"

Some of the first aiders are running around in a panic and policemen are holding someone back. And that's when he notices Carlos. Tommy has a hand on his arm as others stand between him and the buidling.

"TK", he knows automatically.