Ruby Martinez

Back when I was ten years old, I saw those two boys everywhere. One threw off black cat energy, while the other was the human version of a golden retriever. I never knew their names, though. That question always slipped my mind when they walked close to me.

I used to ride the public bus with my mother every day in New York city. On Wednesday nights, the black cat would ride alone. He always seemed occupied, not a care in his world.

In the mornings, when my mother would drop me off for daycare, the two sat in the sixth row, across from the handicapped seating. The Golden Retriever claimed the aisle seat every time. He used to talk with any handicapped person sitting across from him.

In short, the two boys were beautiful. They seemed to only be high school students, but they seemed too good to be true. Every time I saw them together, love was in the air, in every heart around them.

Black cat was never one to talk to other people, especially on the bus. But, to calm his lover's anxiety, Golden retriever would hold his hand, not afraid of what people thought. If he wanted a hug, Golden Retriever would give it to him, no questions asked.

"Honey, stop staring at them," My mother scolded, my attention falling back on her. We shared a seat back in the day, when I was too small and not old enough to sit by myself. "It's rude."

"But mama," I pleaded, tugging lightly on her work shirt. "They're so pretty."

"I know, sweetheart," She sighed, shaking her head. "Stop looking at them. They might not like that."

I sat back farther in my seat, crossing my arms. Those two were the only ones who made me want to grow up, just so I could find someone like that to take care of me. Just after that scenario happened, my entire world seemed to piece away, one by one. 

While working in her factory one day, my mother had an accident. The equipment malfunctioned and collapsed on her, no time to run away from it. The hospital admitted her right away, so nobody came to pick me up at the bus station with the other kids.

I climbed on anyway. My mom had a bus pass, and the bus driver knew it.

"Where's your mother, kiddo?" He asked me shortly, his head slightly tilted.

I shrugged. "I don't know. But, I'm still going home. I have a key in my backpack to our apartment."

"Are you sure you should-"

I passed by the bus driver, strolling to the seats we usually sat in. Sure enough, the two boys were in their usual seats, listening to music on one pair of headphones.

I sat down in my seat, playing with my fingers while we drove to the different spots. I'd never been able to ride the bus alone, but I certainly wasn't scared.

"Hey," The Golden retriever boy leaned back to face me in his seat. "Where's your mom? Don't you two usually ride together?"

I nodded, my jaw slightly dropped. The prettiest boy I'd ever seen was talking to me. "Yeah. She's not here today."

"Are you sure you should be riding the bus alone?" He asked me, a twinkle in his eyes. "Do you want me to walk you home?"

I shook my head. "No thank you. I can get home by myself."

"Do you know your mom's phone number?" He asked instead. "I can call her if you want-"

"Will, leave her alone," The Black cat tugged on his shoulder. "She rides every single day. She knows what to do."

"Nico, I can't let her go home all by herself," Will whispered to his boyfriend. "What's your name?"

"Ruby Martinez," I said proudly, my widest grin spilling onto my face.

"Hi Ruby," Will smiled back. "Do you know your mom's phone number?"

I nodded my head. "My mama told me for emergencies."

"Great! I-" His phone rang abruptly, and he answered it immediately. "Hello? Yeah, I'm free tonight. Why?"

He paused for a moment. His hand covering his phone, he asked, "Is your mother's name Victoria Martinez, by any chance?"

"Yeah!"

"Ruby, she's had an accident," He whispered quietly so nobody else would hear. "I intern at the hospital she was just admitted to."

"Like, she wet the bed, or-"

"She works in a factory, right?" He interrupted.

"Yeah..."

"Machinery was unstable and collapsed on her," He explained softly, a solemn expression appearing on his face. "Do you want to head over to the hospital with us?"

"But tonight's our date night!" Nico protested. "Will, can't you-"

"I want to help Ruby, Neeks." Will gently kissed the back of his boyfriend's hand, gripping it carefully. "She needs our help."

I was too struck by the news to remember what happened next. I was taken to the hospital by those boys, where I found out my mother had died. I was so young when it happened.

Fast forward to age 16, when I was riding the bus to school one morning. I showed the driver my bus pass and sat down in the same seat I sat in for six whole years. Nothing was new about it, just the same run-down fabric as always.

"Will, we're going to be late-" I heard a soft voice say through my headphones while I listened to Lady Gaga's Bad Romance loudly.

I recognized that name from my childhood. The Golden Retriever and Black Cat walked down the bus aisle, plopping themselves down in the seat across from mine.

"How do you know?" Will laughed gently, tapping his partner's leg. "We'll be fine. Really-"

Their eyes landed on me, and I was just as surprised as they were.

"Nico? Will?"

"Ruby?" They asked simultaneously, the three of us locking eyes. "Hold on, you're the little girl from six years ago!"

"You're so much older now!" Nico noticed. "16?"

I nodded, still in shock. "You guys look older too! 24?"

"How'd you know?" Will asked, his jaw dropped. "I'm still in Medical School, and Nico's majored in-"

"Psychology," Nico interrupted. "I've been helping kids get through their trauma."

"I can't believe I'm talking to you right now," I laughed humorlessly, a smile growing on my face.

"I'm so sorry about your mom, Ruby-" Will shook his head, staring into my eyes sympathetically.

"It wasn't your fault," I assured him, smiling gratefully. "I've been wanting to thank you all these years for helping me out when I was younger. Thank you so much for delivering me to my mother in her final moments. It meant the world to me."

"I'm glad I could help."