Chapter 13: Sometimes I can't help blaming you for leaving me here

When Carlisle had insisted on bedrest, Noah was sure that it wouldn't actually be enforced. She didn't think that the second she arrived at the Black household, she would be carted off to Rachel's old room, never to see the light of day again.

To be fair she couldn't even really remember the first two days she was there - it was a blur of consciousness and sleep. But Noah didn't remember anyone telling her how drowsy the pain medication would make her either and when she woke up on the third day, finally feeling more awake and aware, she was mildly pissed off. Did she feel like she'd been kidnapped and drugged? Kind of.

It wasn't that Noah's body felt great and that she was ready to jump up and run a marathon, because it didn't and she wasn't. But one thing Noah hated above all else was the feeling of being out of control of her body. Pain she knew. Pain was familiar. But being unable to distinguish between reality and dreams felt like a poor trade off for some pain management.

So when Jacob strolled into the room looking chipper as ever, Noah already had a deep frown etched on her face. His demeanor irked her even further. But Jacob didn't seem to notice or care.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," Jacob grinned, holding out her phone for Noah to take. "Here's your phone."

"Why do you have my phone?" Noah asked, her voice laced with malice and suspicion.

"Oh no reason," Jake laughed. He sounded more amused than guilty, which was entirely more confusing to Noah.

"You're being weird," she drawled.

"No I'm not," Jake denied.

"Yes you are." Noah reinforced.

"Will you just relax? I'm really not," Jake grumbled. "You've been asleep for two days and you wake up ready to fight me."

Noah huffed. He wasn't wrong. But what the fuck do you expect after being unknowingly forced into being in a medicated sleep for 48 hours? Sunshine and rainbows?

"I just came to see if you wanted to shower or get cleaned up a little before breakfast," Jake continued. He knew when to interrupt a train of thought - especially one aimed at him. "Dad's making a big spread now that you're not so drugged up."

"You know, I don't remember being told that I'd basically be in a medical coma for two days. What was that about?" Noah grumbled. She really was slightly perturbed and thrown off by the whole situation.

"You needed it dude," Jake maintained, without an ounce of regret present in his voice. "You looked like you were about to keel over at any minute with a strong breeze."

"Hmm," Noah frowned, neither agreeing nor disagreeing. She would never admit to that idiot that he was right about anything. "Well a little warning would've been nice, but since we're not owning up to the extremely unethical business of that, yeah, a shower would be good."

"You need it," Jake laughed, wrinkling his nose with an ill contained smirk.

"Oh why don't you go lick dirt," Noah gritted out, shifting her body towards the side of the bed. She let out a grunt at how sore she was all over but when Jacob moved forward to help her, she shook her head, "I got it."

It was an embarrassingly clumsy and slow process, especially with only one weight-bearing hand, but eventually Noah managed to get to the edge of the bed with her feet touching the floor. Looking down at her shorts clad legs, a thought occurred to Noah.

"Did someone change me?" She asked, alarmed. Noah wasn't sure she even wanted to know, the thought of Jake or Billy doing it was too horrible to even imagine. "Oh my god, what about when I had to go to the bathroom?"