Chapter 25

*Cas

I was doing some cleaning around the house the next day when I got a text from Sophie.

"Mind if I come over in a few?" She asked.

"Nope, doors open when you get here!" I said.

She got there a few minutes later and didn't exactly look too happy.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

She sighed and sat down on the couch, "Riley brought a guy home last night."

I stopped what I was doing and turned to face her.

"Oh...well shit," I said.

"I mean, I know it's nothing serious but...." She trailed off.

"Yeah I know," I said, "that had to suck."

"Makes it worse that it was one of Maddox's friends," she said.

"Oh boy," I said, "were they like...for sure together?"

Sophie shrugged, "I didn't see anything happen between them, but he definitely wanted it to. He made sure to tell me that."

Sophie rolled her eyes and slumped back against the couch. 

"Sorry Soph," I said, "I know really like her."

"And I knew I shouldn't have gotten invested so quickly," Sophie paused, "but obviously I did."

"Well I know it didn't look good, but don't get too far ahead of yourself," I said. "You never know."

"I guess I should've thought this through a little bit more, huh?" Sophie said.

"Didn't really think about having to watch her bring anyone else home," she continued.

"I know you guys have just started whatever this thing is between you, but might not be a bad idea to talk to her about all of this," I said as I sat down next to Sophie.

"Yeah I guess so," she said, "I just don't want to scare her off, but I'm not sure I can continue to watch her bring home hot tools."

"So he was hot, huh?" I asked her.

"I mean....yeah, I have eyes Cas," she said sarcastically.

Sophie's phone vibrated and she picked it up to read the text message she'd just gotten.

"Oh fuck," she said, "I forgot I was supposed to meet Alex for dinner tonight."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "you and Alex are hanging out now?"

"Well - yeah we have a couple of times, just drinks after work and stuff," she said, not wanting to look up at me.

"I don't care Soph, just kind of surprised me, we did all have fun together the other day though," I said.

"Oh perfect," she started, "so you're good if I just tell him to come over here and join us?"

"Sophie I don't think - I mean we used to live here together, I think that'll be a little weird," I said.

"True..." she said, "well let's go meet somewhere for dinner then, I need a distraction."

"Fine," I said with a sigh, "where are we going?"

I thought back to Jamie and I's conversation the other night and hoped that she would be okay with this after what we had discussed. Obviously I didn't want to start another argument, but I was going to dinner with my friends and she'd just have to understand.

Sophie told Alex to meet us at my house so we could all go together, and he pulled up in the driveway shortly after they talked.

"Sorry I keep crashing," Alex said as he got out of his car.

"It's fine," I said with a grin, "no stopping Sophie when she wants to do something."

"That's also true," he said as he gave Sophie a look.

She shrugged as we got into her car to go to dinner.

"I need moral support tonight, you can't blame me," Sophie said.

"Uh oh," Alex said, "I feel like I need the story with this now."

"It's not much of a story, just me getting feelings too quickly," Sophie said.

We got to the restaurant and continued our conversation about Sophie's complicated roommate situation. I wanted so badly to tell her I told you so, but I didn't want to kick her while she was down.

"Soooo what are you going to do?" I asked her.

"Don't you think you should just talk to her?" Alex chimed in.

"You know what," Sophie started, "I'm tired of you two reasonable people.

Alex and I looked at each other and laughed before turning back to Sophie.

"So if we're being reasonable...maybe you should just listen to us," I said to her.

"Well I just don't want to freak her out! I don't think I should be trying to have a relationship talk with her after we've slept together once," Sophie said defensively.

"Slept together, huh?" Alex said, "I didn't know that part had happened."

"Yes," Sophie said as she rested her chin on her hand.

"You uh, you don't sound too excited about that," Alex said with a smirk.

"I was until I realized how much it would suck to see her with someone else," Sophie said.

"Come on Soph, you said you don't even know if anything happened yet. You need to actually figure out what's going on before you get too down," I said.

"I knowwww," she said with a sigh, "I just can't stop thinking about it now."

We finished up dinner and continued to try and get Sophie out of her funk, without much luck.

Eventually she drove us all back to my house and Alex and I got out of her car.

I leaned into her window before she drove off, "let me know if you find anything out, okay?" I said to her.

She nodded and gave both of us a wave before driving off.

Alex and I walked up the driveway towards his car.

He paused before he opened the door and said, "it is kind of weird being back here."

I had avoided thinking about the awkwardness of the situation, until now that is.

"Yeah I - I was assuming it probably would be," I said quietly.

I jumped slightly when I heard a car door close at the end of the driveway. I looked up and saw Jamie walking towards us.

Shit, I thought, this should be fun.

"Jamie, hey," I said awkwardly.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asked sarcastically.

Yeah, she definitely wasn't happy.

"I'm gonna go, sorry," Alex said to me quietly as he got into his car.

"I'll talk to you later," I said as I gave him a small wave.

"We were just out to dinner with Sophie," I said to Jamie, "she just left."

Jamie stopped and shook her head, "you know what, I can't even have this conversation right now."

"Jamie hold on," I said as I tried to grab her hand.

She pulled her hand back and walk back towards her car.

"I just can't do this right now Cas."

————————————————