Nine Years Later

The lakeside town of Croix de Lune was once a beautiful village that graced the rural countryside of France. However in recent memory, the town had slowly began to deteriorate in light of the disastrous droughts and weathers that ruined their produce and farms while heavy taxation laws issued by the King himself drove the townsfolk into debt and poverty.

Though the town had lost its grace and soul, the townsfolk were stirred to life by uplifting news about a revolution standing up against these injustices. These news inspired hope and change within the people, driven toward the local pub in secret nightly gatherings to rally the people to a noble cause.

"It was the natural order, they claimed." A young man spoke among the townspeople gathering around the pub's fireplace. "They're born rich, and we're born poor. And that's just the will of God. It's the natural order for them to get rich by milking us dry with impossible rents and unpayable taxes. Just a week ago, the Marquis issued a series of ridiculous taxes in Croix de Lune and for what? To continue funding his elaborate parties with the other nobles from the cities. I've seen some villagers who are unable to pay off their taxes at all because they are just too poor. And you know what he did? Sooner or later he'll send around his uncultured thugs, disguised as debt collectors, to squeeze what few cents they have left against their will. And it will happen again and again. And here they thought it would remain like that until the end of time."

The young man in question had hair as bright and red like the fire in front of him. It crackled with the intensity of the ember in his eyes, peering through a wooden mask that he was known to never take off. The villagers eagerly listened to him, for he spoke a truth that was needed to be heard. Whereas the people around him held muskets, on his hands was a long halberd, with a makeshift cannon attached to the hilt, which he had no problem wielding.

"Well, the king thought it was his divine right to be king, but do you know what happened to him? He's been arrested, along with the royal family. The government in Paris has overthrown the monarchy and declared a republic of the people. To hell with the natural order! This... This right here is our time! The Marquis and his merry men had been hiding in luxury and delusions behind their high walls for far too long! In three days time, we shall march to his Chateau and make an example out of their unsurmountable greed. Gone is the time of kings, and so shall be the aristocrats! The time of change is nigh and we shall make it a reality! Vive la Révolution!"

"Vive la Révolution!" The people chanted and cheered along with him.

"Vive la Révolution!" said a young girl known as Maria, chanting alongside the crowd. Amongst the group who hid under dark cloaks to conceal their identities, she simply wore a bright pink dress without a care in the world. Her long blonde hair was exposed to the winds and her green eyes gleamed with inspiration and excitement. "You were excellent, Sebastian!"

Just as they celebrate, the group of revolutionaries were interrupted by a loud screech from afar. The group froze into a halt as they saw a group of misshapen-looking creatures approach from outside. As they near the pub, more of their distinguishing features came into view. They were nothing but huge beasts that look like undead direwolves. They growled terribly as their saliva senselessly dripped from their mouths. Their eyes were glowing red, the same color as their lust for blood. The world has a name for them: night creatures.

As the first among the horde of wargs leapt against the group, another young man tore off his green cloak and from his belt, he pulled out a whip and cracked it at them. He swung the whip with such force, that the creature's head was cut in half cleanly. The man kicked the dismembered head out of the pub and onto the clearing just as it pruned just seconds after. The other beasts visibly flinched as the young man left the pub and approached them without fear.