Forevermore

Students falling in love with Rafal wasn't uncommon. Over the span of a hundred years, the tall and handsome, polished Evil School Master had unintentionally lured even some of the most upright Evergirls like moths to a flame. The signs were clear to someone as alert and hawk-eyed as him: the blush that spotted cheeks, the quickening breaths, the lingering stares behind his back, the averted gazes when he turned. Never had Rafal engaged them. Even though they were eighteen years old, they were students. He was a School Master. And love was a weapon of Good.

But one Evergirl's stare continued to linger at the Welcoming. She had light-brown skin and short, wavy dark hair with bangs. She didn't seem intimidated by the Evil School Master, even as he pierced her with his green gaze, warning her to look away. She almost seemed to be challenging him, as if her thick-lashed brown eyes were saying:

Make me.

Rafal ignored her, shifting his focus to the magic lamp that Rhian had taken from Aladdin.

The boy who had caused a rift in their relationship, the thief that the Storian had placed in Good instead of Evil.

And Rhian, the brother who was supposed to be Good, was willing to go so far as to cheat to prove that the Storian's judgment was correct. Had he not interfered in the boy's Wish Fish challenge, Aladdin would have surely failed.

That night, needing time to consider his next move alone, Rafal took a stroll through the courtyard. No students were allowed out of their dorms past curfew, but one was sitting on the bench, appearing to be smoking a cigarette.

A familiar Evergirl. The one who'd been staring at him during the Welcoming.

She smiled as he approached.

"Hello, School Master," she said. "Lovely night, isn't it?"

Unlike his brother, Rafal didn't care whether a student was choosing to rot their lungs, as long as the lung-rotting wasn't taking place inside, but an Ever partaking in a Never activity was quite unusual.

"What are you doing out here?" Rafal demanded, and pointed at her cigarette. "And where did you get that?"

Clara shrugged, taking another drag. She turned her head away from him momentarily and blew smoke into the air.

"Are you going to do the Good thing and tell your brother?" she asked, teasing. "Or are you going to do the Evil thing and join me?" She offered him the pack of cigarettes. "I'm Clara, by the way. Clara of Foxwood."

Rafal glared at her. "Alternatively, I could do the Evil thing and turn you into a fairy, trap you in a jar, and leave you at my brother's bedside with a note."

Clara laughed.

"Are you always this creative?" she said. "I suppose Evil has to be when Good is so boring." She scooted over and tapped the seat next to her. "Come on, sit. You seem tense about something."

Rafal didn't move, keeping his eyes locked on her. Did she really need to be reminded that he was the Evil School Master?

"Go back to your dorm," Rafal ordered. "And leave the cigarettes so I may discard them."

"It's that Aladdin boy, isn't it?" Clara said, and Rafal's heart jumped into his throat. "Your brother and you seem oddly fixated on him, almost as if you're fighting over him."

How does she know? Rafal thought. Yes, Rafal had taken the magic lamp from Rhian at the Welcoming and given it to his dean to "hide," and Clara had been present for the Wish Fish challenge, but she hadn't followed Aladdin when Rafal had guided him to the lamp's hiding place from the shadows... had she?