Chapter 35: Recruiting at Langtree.

Sedgwick Halgard was the youngest offspring of a wealthy, prominent merchant family, the third son, seventh child. His siblings had all achieved advantageous marriages and demonstrated success in their commerce, but his choice to become a coinsword had baffled his father and disappointed his mother. His distant relative, Loren, had granted the extended clan notoriety through his adulterous affair with Usha Majere and while the lives of his siblings were above reproach, Sedgwick's parents had always gifted him with the impression that disgrace was not restricted to those outside the immediate relations. Given an expansive and encompassing education in his youth, Sedgwick had failed to go on and become a famous white robed mage, whose name was spoken in reverent whispers in the dining room of all the most significant families. Indeed, he'd shucked the wizardry and fallen back on the church, pursuing a martial path to religious prominence. He was still uncertain as to whether his path was correct, but he'd learned to not second-guess himself: Determine the optimal course and endure the consequences through bitter resolve.

Thus, Sedgwick found his mind wandering as he took his leave from the City of Morning Dew, watching the bulk of his comrades departing for the east, leaving him in the company of Mark Tramwell and Thrinzia Juri, making their way on horse and foot toward the legendary city of Langtree, home of the mad Baron and many outcast mercenaries. His captain, known as Esme Wildtamer, had assured him that he'd be lieutenant to the two sergeants with him in the new unit, which was forming ostensibly to become the core of the honor guard for Lady Maureen Sevastian, a noble lady that was as fictitious as the mercenary captain. Sedgwick acknowledged the requirement for such obfuscation, but also realized that it'd make dinners at home even more awkward. Something about Michelle's adherence to such measures in a transparent, friendly city made Sedgwick more than a little uneasy. He suspected something was transpiring to which he wasn't given consideration. That 'need to know' thing.

The weather was miserable, amplifying Sedgwick's emotional tone, and driving him toward extreme introspection. In his periphery, he observed Thrinzia slopping through the muck elicited by the drizzle, his horse keeping pace with both her and Mark on the other side. Their passage northwest echoed that previous venture Sedgwick had taken with Michelle, that time on their way toward the trade city of Shrentak. This journey would pass by that city and further down the Ogre River toward the New Sea. Langtree wasn't coastal, but it was less than a day's ride from the ocean. Their passage would also bring them past the ruins of Vantal, once a major city itself, now a pile of ruins much like Purstal, though Sedgwick hoped there would be less undead infesting the place. Around him, the insect life buzzed itself into a sluggish wakefulness, failing to recognize the earlier true dawn due to the cloud cover and precipitation. Horses and Thrinzia proceeded at much the same speed, the trail through the swamp defined by the passage of many travelers on an identical sojourn.

"Mark, could you ask Layla to scout ahead for us?" Sedgwick's words were directed to the man riding beside him and after a few moments, the tiny dragon-like reptile took to the air, soaring off along the trail in front of them. Sedgwick glanced over toward Thrinzia, ambling along, matching pace with the horses without distress. His gaze flickered over to Mark and then back toward the trail. He settled into a silent amble, letting everyone entertain their introspection without further spoken commentary, although he suspected Mark was thought-speaking with the pseudodragon, which wasn't so far ahead as on the previous occasions, because the travelers could move through the swamp as fast as the little creature.

The first day concluded without any encounters. The small group had arrived at the Ogre River and even along it a little ways before setting up camp. Sedgwick took the first watch, Mark was on second and Thrinzia would take the third, but Sedgwick didn't expect there to be any trouble. Not this close to Shrentak. The trail had been quiet, though as word spread about the lack of banditry traffic would doubtless increase, both in frequency and quantity. Sedgwick watched the other two settle in and eat some trail rations, Mark once again feeding tidbits of delight to his pet, their primary scout. Mark had an astonishing metabolism and could eat and sleep less than any other individual Sedgwick had encountered. Thrinzia had a hearty appetite, however, preferring meat to other offerings. She was muscled, agile and robust. Sedgwick also got the impression that she was much smarter than many of her species, even though the beady eyes and crocodilian jaws cast a sinister aspect to her appearance. It was one of the facets that Michelle appeared to appreciate in those who worked for her, that intelligence, though Sedgwick knew it wasn't a general trait in the Legion of Steel. He suspected Michelle was a different kind of commander, one he'd come to respect and admire.